mardi, mars 28, 2006

thoughts whizzing around the ol' noggin

lots of thoughts whizzing around today.

the mormons came--not two of them...but THREE!!! poor Deej, if she had been there all alone it would have been 3 against 1!! but i'm pretty glad that they came, it was a very good exercise in apologetics. They were really sweet guys, but some of the stuff they were saying was just so blasphemous--part of me wanted to cry, part of me wanted to laugh at the absurdity of having three mormon guys in our apartment proselytizing, part of me was infuriated that they were claiming the precious Word of God has been distorted and is unreliable.
i was so grateful though--admittedly, my knowledge of the Scriptures is not up to par, but God was moving and gave me the words to say and the Scripture to challenge them. Verses just kept popping into my head reminding me of the truth, and allowing me to question their beliefs.

Those guys knew the Bible so well though--it was heartbreaking. To see 3 guys so passionate about their beliefs and who know scripture like the back of their hands is something that is lacking in the Christian church today--its not an easy thing to go to someone's house and proselytize. Its a shame they don't know the REAL, TRUE and EVERLASTING God. if only us Christians (myself included...perhaps more than most) would step it up a couple of notches and KNOW our scripture well and become passionate about sharing the gospel--i know often i am FAR too lacksadaisical in this aspect. What an impact we would have. i can't help but think how many people are being influenced by just those 3 guys--many, i'm sure.

my roommate anja and a girl, Rosa, from one of my classes came home while the 3 mormons were still here--i had to stifle a laugh at the absurdity of it all. After they were gone, Rosa made a remark that has haunted me ever since. " i didn't think you were THAT religious, Lydia."
She was referring to the fact that she had initially thought we were having bible study with the mormons and that the first thought that crossed her mind was "i didnt think lydia was THAT religious."
That she would say this broke my heart--it is a testimony to how little i share the gospel, even though i KNOW it is a life changing message. i've never seen myself as someone who hides her identity as a Christian--even in high school, when my faith was rocky people KNEW me as 'the Christian'. In class i've often made it known that i'm a fairly conservative Christian...
but wow...i guess my eyes have been opened a bit more in regards to the way i've been living my life. and i'm disappointed.

3 guys who would give up 2 years of their life to spread the message of a completely untrue belief...and yet i, someone who knows the Way, the Truth and the Life, share the beautiful gospel message far less often.

oh so disappointing Lydia. so disappointing.

i am however grateful for all the opportunities i have had of late to share the gospel. its been fantastic. i'm lovin' it! Now, if only i'd make more opportunities :)

***
oh, i forgot to blog about our escapade with the Ryerson Students' Union (RSU) president today! yup thats right, i talked to her today! Well...more like argued politely!!! haha, i don't even go to ryerson.

Was sitting with Pri and Warren in their clubs office, when the woman who does all of their bookings (i think?) came to the office to tell them about a postcard the RSU was selling that disturbed her. I think it said something like "Kill in the name of Jesus" and was apparently meant to "promote discussion" about fundamentalist Christianity in the States... but i mean come on! what would people think when they saw that postcard? All it does is promote hatred towards Christians--gee. shocker.

anyways, pri, warren and i decided to go see this postcard that a NON-CHRISTIAN was even offended by...and pri could tell that i wanted to say something...so she said that i should say it...so i started talking to the girl working at the desk...who then referred me/us to the president of the Ryerson students' union....who i argued with (argued seems like the wrong word...its not as though there was shouting or anything) for a good 8 minutes...but it went nowhere. of course being politically correct, she said that she'd take it up with the group who was selling the postcards. yeah right.

next time i go to ryerson i will make a stink again.

haha.

9 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit...

I find this site hugely helpful. Mainly when dealing with my JWs friend. We have lunch and talk about religion every week. Really encouraging stories and great strategies to deal with them.

http://www.macgregorministries.org/mormons/mormon_index.html

Anonyme a dit...

those three guys KNEW what they were talking about. but it's hard not to if you do it everyday and face the same questions right? i admire their passion to stand up for what they believe in, and to be so knowledgable as well. that's some dedication right there.

i'd have to say that i would be soooo scared if it had just been me. THANK YOU LYDIA!

-your roomie (!)

Anonyme a dit...

...don't forget that there are a *lot* of people that would think your dedication to the scriptures would be absurd in comparison to their scientific beliefs.

I'm not saying that I'm one of them...just because I think the way I do doesn't mean I don't see where you're coming from...but I've had plenty of arguments to that effect, on either side.

Anonyme a dit...

guess what...

they took off that postcard!!

although i think my darling muslim friend at the front desk is a little upset with me for that. im gonna go talk to her so no worries. it'll be a good discussion :).

Anonyme a dit...

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHh no stink needed :) yay pri! yay warren!

lol i'm sorry your muslim friend at the front desk is upset with you.... but haha you're right. good discussion :)

Anonyme a dit...

anonymous: yeah i realize that there are many many people who would think my beliefs are absurd. but it doesn't change the fact that i found having 3 mormon guys in our house absurd, given that it would be a deviation from the norm and the usual paradigms of my life.

Anonyme a dit...

yes. props to pri and war and lowonthego for navigating around a "stink"...

I spoke to my first mormons this year at winter conf. with this girl from guelph. but our mormons were two 14 year old girls...not quite as valiant...

lotg, nice usage of the word "lacksadaisical." I had completely forgotten about it.

Anonyme a dit...

Hmm. I would take that postcard in the way it was supposedly meant to be - don't autmatically see upfront hatred against Christians.
But hey, thats just me :)

Anonyme a dit...

btw, thanks jevy for the link! i really appreciate it!! gotta read up on it, since we're meeting up with them again on monday!!! haha.