vendredi, août 18, 2006

i'ma headed back to the wasteland.


i think the title says it all....

okay, admittedly, its not REALLY a wasteland (let it be known that unless you're from deadmonton, you are not permitted to make fun of it. yes! hypocrisy at its finest. right here, ladies and gents).

i'm pretty much sad. going home to edmonton means that the end of the summer is quickly approaching. this makes me teary eyed because i've had a GREAT summer. its been phenom. even just today, i met up with Adam Lim and Daniel Richardsen and we went to Kensington market where we had the BEST burritos EVER! Seriously, their yam burrito is fit for a superstar. We also had amazing ice cream/gelato (i had pistachio gelato...mmm amazing!) at this fair trade certified cafe, and i bought a button for two dollars. it says: "Eat vegetables, don't be a vegetable."
today was just an sampling of the fantasmic times i've had in Toronto this summer.

lets be honest though. every year, before going back to edmonton, i feel a sense of trepidation and dread. its always almost inevitable that i'll get in an argument with my mum (we're both very stubborn and feisty) or that a sense of extreme loneliness will set in. the truth is, edmonton is where i have to fight my demons. its where the rubber hits the road, and spiritual breathing isn't about getting warm fuzzies, but necessary to survive. its where everything i've learned during the year is tested, and its where i often fail.

i don't mean to bemoan going home. i am grateful for loving parents who have supported me throughout my lifetime, and am eager to see them. i am grateful for many high school friends--most of whom i love seeing, because many of them represent at least a 6 year history...this year, it'll be 10 years since i met a whackload of them in grade 7.

nevertheless, going home is going to be tough. there are always numerous reasons. the main thing being that i don't have a home church to go to. i have no christian friends left in edmonton, and thus its like leaving a spiritual greenhouse where there are structures and support and going into a desert, where the solitude stretches for miles. there's also so much i want to do, so much i want to accomplish. i want to love my friends, i want to share the gospel with them, i want to inspire my parents to keep on pushing on, i want to spend lots of time with God, i want to honour my parents. but often, i leave, with my goals being unmet. going back is always a good reminder of the sinner that i truly am, but while i am there, i often forget the Grace that will bring me home.

this time though, i do not want to forget this grace. i don't want to go home with the pressure of "doing" things. its not as though my constant striving to "do" things will impress the LORD. unlike being a good enough student to skip a grade, there are no extra brownie points for attempting to do things on my own and prove that i am good enough and strong enough. there needs to be the realization that i am neither of the two.
there needs to be the realization that i am justified by grace as a gift through the redemption that is in Jesus Christ, whom God put forward as a propitiation by His blood to be received by faith.

while i admit to being anxious about going home, i am also excited. i'm excited for the down-time i'll have (especially since i'm getting my wisdom teeth out on monday), and i'm excited to read some good books and simply veg. i'm excited to have unhurried and constant solid times with God and to have only Him to rely on. i'm excited to get away from the clutter that is Toronto life. i'm excited to eat the best pho i've ever had and not need to do grocery shopping. i'm excited to be away from the internet and not be able to blog-stalk 24/7.

pray for me if you get a chance.

and call me. i'm sure i'll be bored, and i'd love to talk to anyone who wants to talk to me ^_^
email me for my phone number.

i'll be back september stinking 4th.

8 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit...

I'll miss youuuuu.

Darn, i was hoping to see you sometime soon as the last of my family friends leaves this monday.

Boo hao.

oooh can i send you mail in deadmonton!!

gimme gimme (your address)

Anonyme a dit...

Those yam burritos rock! They are ridiculously good. (I wish i had one now!)
This is josh's sister Jess by the way, we met at the jazz fest and I enjoy your blog.

Anonyme a dit...

"Eat vegetables, don't be a vegetable"??

please.

Anonyme a dit...

Edmonton is what you make of it.

...make it good!

Anonyme a dit...

Amen Warren... and for two dollars no less... You got ripped off lydia :P

Hearing you bemoan going home sounds of most of Montreal projectiles emo talks about being home. Don't worry Lydia, even though you may fail, there's something that John Wiersma shared with us after staff left (I'm pretty sure it was after staff left.)

He was talking about temptation and struggling with it, and one of the things that his father suggested to fight against it was to do something he called charting. He would, at the end of his day, rank it from 1 - 10, 1 being that it was a pretty bad day in terms of temptation and 10 meaning that he was really successful in depending on God's strength to stay away from it. The reason I share this is because one of the things that the devil likes to tell us is "You always fail. You can't keep this up so don't try." And many times we believe him. But by charting, John had a record to go back to and look at so that he could respond to the devil by saying, "well yeah you got me on that day and that day, but you got beat on those three other days where I stayed pure, so get behind me!"

So don't get down or depressed if you feel that you're starting to slip... for knowing your integrity and strength as a woman of God, you will also have plenty of victories. Dwell on those and draw strength from them :)

Anonyme a dit...

warren, there's nothing wrong with vegetables. they're so gooooooood. (I can say that because I'm an expert you see). I think you should definetely eat more veggies. :p.

how it being in edmonton, lydia?

Anonyme a dit...

wow! if you’re going to the wasteland can you say hi to T.S. Elliot for me? I am such a huge fan! and when you get back we will party and celebrate our slow decline into the drear annals of time. have fun

Anonyme a dit...

okay, i don't know how long this internet connection is going to last for. i admit to stealing i hope it'll last long enough to reply to these comments. i was SO stoked to get like 7 comments when i got home.

aban: i wish i could've seen you too. :( how bout we see each other when i get back? when do you start school. i'll e-mail you my mailing addy. it takes exactly 4 days for mail to get from TO to edmonton and vice versa. send me your mailing addy okay?

jessica: ah, i am STOKED that you read my blog!!! you were actually the inspiration behind going in search of the yam burrito--joshua had told me about how you loved them and so i decided to try it out. you have great taste.

warren: yes, you should eat more veggies

"anonymous": i want to meet up with you and our mutual friend. will you indulge me at all? help me make the best of my time here in edmonton. i'll be in touch with her sometime after monday....if i'm not high on tylenol 3s from the surgery.

jonathan park: thanks for the reminder.

pri: i got here this morning, and i already feel like a prisoner of boredom. my mind chafes (i don't know how to spell it) at the speed of life....and i wish i had more to do. pray that in my boredom i'd turn to God.

ryan: we will SOOO party. done and done.

to everyone: i love y'all so much and man, miss you guys. is that sad or what? but alas, it is true. i'm realizing that i'm an extrovert. one day without seeing friends and i'm already in pain.

its going to be a loooong 16 days.