mercredi, octobre 04, 2006

on more banal things...like exams.

well today i wrote my first exam of my last year of formal schooling (for a little while,at least).

undoubtedly, this course (attention and performance) is the hardest course i have ever taken in university (just exceeding neurophysiological psych II) and i was pretty stressed about this exam. this course is taught by one of the best psych profs and researchers at U of T and i also have him next semester for a different course, so i knew that there was a lot riding on this exam.

though i studied at summit, there just wasn't enough time to study everything...and more importantly, i didn't understand a lot of the material. There's no textbook for the course, so i spent last night reading a whole bunch of medical and scientific journals trying to figure things out.

Yesterday, i even went to my prof for help. Now, those of you who know me, know that i NEVER go to profs for help. in fact, yesterday was the first time in my four years of university that i've approached a professor for help. TAs, sometimes. but profs...never. i usually despise students who go to profs for help, because at a cutthroat university like u of t, students RARELY go to their profs without the underhanded motive of buttering up the professor. brief aside, yesterday when i went to see my prof, there were a couple of other girls in his office..and he joked that he thinks u of t should increase his salary (AS IF! this dude is making lots of money already...i mean, he's a professor with full tenureship) and i so i said "umm yeah, while they increase OUR tuition for your pay hike"...and these girls i was in the room with gave me this EVIL look and one girl piped up, "i would pay more tuition for your pay to increase."

UHH..what the heck??? perfect example of a student buttering up to the prof. also the reason why i don't go to professors for help. i'm weary of getting grouped together with these gals.

anyways, i digress.
i knew i needed help on the material, so i went to my professor for help (talk about humbling my ego and admitting defeat)...

this morning i woke up at 5:30 so i could study. as i went into my exam, i prayed, "Lord, there is nothing i can do. help me to pass this exam, so i can pass the course and graduate." As i was praying, i felt the need to check over some stuff in my notes. those who know me well know that i NEVER read my notes or cram right before exams...but i had this strong feeling that i had to check something out. so i checked it out..and then the prof passed out the exams.

i opened up the exam...looked at all the questions..and thought to myself...

"wow, this is the first exam where i can honestly say i know almost, if not all, the answers in the exam. i can get 100% on this exam! its a good thing i checked my notes before hand, because this question is the VERY thing i checked my notes for."

hahaha.

it was the funnest exam i have ever written.
the only sad part was that i could have gotten 100% on the exam that i thought i'd surely fail....had i had enough time to FINISH the exam. alas, i couldn't write fast enough. hmm, does someone want to teach me how to write faster? i ended up having to leave one question blank.....and it was worth a lot.
ironically, a large part of the exam was on speed-accuracy trade-offs. as you increase speed of motion, accuracy decreases....and inversely..if you increase accuracy, speed decreases.
now, those of y'all who know me...know that i have amazing penmanship. too bad its not FAST penmanship.

oh wells, no complaints. its nice to know you've written a good exam..and that it hasn't really been because of what you've done, or your own strength...but that God cares even about the little, stupid details, like exams, in life...and that He even blesses us in these things.

***

also.... talks from the most recent Desiring God conference (Above all earthly powers: the Supremacy of Christ in a post-modern world) are up.

i really recommend Piper's sunday morning talk. y'all know i love johnny pipes. but i'm not just blogging this to plug him. its a great talk. so go listen.

7 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit...

Hey there! I just stumbled upon your blog and I found it really interesting. Thanks so much for the posts.

Anonyme a dit...

Hey Lydia :) I liked this post - I've been recently learning that walking with God is almost entirely about those details in my life that, without Him, reveal me to be the unspiritual creature that He is transforming me from. For some reason, the big things are natural for us to commit to Him, but the little things are often more difficult!

Anonyme a dit...

you do have nice writing!

Anonyme a dit...

Hey Lydia,
Glad to know your test went well ohh exams ...

Anonyme a dit...

only twice in my university career have i gone to talk to a prof/ta. with one of them we never ended up talking about my assignments. instead we would have coffee and talk about stupid things. i wouldn't consider it sucking up. we actually became friends and hung out. but it probably did help my grades. the other time it was because the prof made it manditory that we talk to her. i've never thought of talking to profs as a way of sucking up. just as a waste of time.

Anonyme a dit...

hmm: who are you?

Anonyme a dit...

i write pretty fast, doesn't look pretty, but it's fast.
and i talk to my profs pretty frequently. sometimes its the only way to understand the material in philosophy