dimanche, mai 13, 2007

Valuing people

Recently, I found myself in a situation where I felt pretty lonely. There was a huge group of other people who seemed to know each other really well. They were fun and funny, both of which I am not. Over time, sensing my inadequacies, I pulled back, and stopped trying to hang out with them as much. I hadn't felt like this in quite awhile. In Toronto, I have a huge support base of people whom I know and love. I'm relatively "popular", and though I'm not fun or funny, I have fun and good times here. So being in this situation and not being part of the "cool" kids felt weird. Do not get me wrong, it's not as though this group excluded me in any way; they were super friendly and fun. They invited me and others on their outings. What I've said thus far, and what I will say is not a reflection of them in any way. They are lovely, fun people. It was just a weird feeling on my behalf of not really knowing them the way they did each other, and feeling inadequate because of my fun-factor, or lack thereof.

This got me thinking. I've always wondered why certain people never come out with us after a weekly meeting to eat, or why some people never join my church group and I for lunch, despite invitation. Here in Toronto, it's been awhile since I've been a newcomer or someone who doesn't know the group too well. While I was in this situation, I caught a glimpse of what it might be like for someone new to want to fit in. Granted, it was not exactly the same since I knew these people, I just didn't really know them. I caught a glimpse of what next year in Montreal might be like. Some people fit in easily right away. They are outgoing, fun, funny and people naturally gravitate towards them. Others, like me, are shy and find it hard to think up things to say that would matter.

I talked about this with some people recently, and someone pointed out that it is impossible to be friends with everyone, and how Christian culture tries so hard nowadays to embrace and be friends with everyone, when it isn't actually possible. I totally agree with this. Even Jesus was selective about the people He poured the majority of His time and energy into. I don't think we ought to feel pressure to be friends with everyone. But, I think that at the core, people want to be valued. They want to know their presence makes a difference. I really need to think this through, in ministry terms. Perhaps the fringe member is on the fringe, not because he or she doesn't want to get involved, but because despite invitations, his presence is not truly valued. I think I need to work on valuing people. Other fringe members might not be involved for other reasons, but I am certain that some fringe members are just like me in this situation. They want to go on outings, want to be included, but are just unsure of how to proceed naturally, and feel inadequate because of shyness or insecurities over not being cool enough or fun enough.

Meeting new people is hard; it requires sacrifice on both sides. It requires sacrifice on the part of the newcomer to swallow their pride (something I am HORRIBLE at!!!), make multiple attempts to get to know others, and face rejection. It requires sacrifice on the part of the "in-group" (for lack of a better word) to allow a newcomer into the fold, to value them, and spend time getting to know them.

Hmm, I think this is something I really need to work on. I really want people to feel valued when they are around me.

3 commentaires:

amac a dit...

on this note, something this week i did that had unexpected consequences was buy a guy i just met a bottle of water without asking him.
he was a really shy guy, but after than gift he warmed up to me a lot. so there's one point in valuing people, take the initiative to demonstate care in a tangible manner

Silas a dit...

i hear ya. i find myself frequently trying to take the initiative to be more personal to those looking in.

Jonathan P a dit...

Hmmm. I had the exact same sort of situation happen to me just a few weeks ago. With a slightly different outcome. And a slightly different result.

But your point is an excellent one... one I hadn't considered in the midst of feeling sorry for myself. Thanks for the reminder :)