vendredi, juillet 06, 2007

A friend told me today that he misses my blogs. I miss them too. I lack inspiration, and am going through a time of creative drought. I wonder if it will ever return? I'll try blogging anyways; I don't want to lose the skill completely.

i am woman...hear me roar?

"You're one of the guys, Lydia."

It's a comment I've been getting a lot recently. My church has a VERY high percentage of males. In fact on a good day, there will be 6 or 7 college/early career girls and at least 15 guys. On a bad day, when people are away at university, or a week such as last week, there will be 3 girls and 11 guys. So, you do the math. Often times, when we're hanging out, I'll find myself being the only girl, or one of two girls, in a group of guys. Like, last Sunday. Lunch: 11 boys, 1 girl.

So, the guys at church have taken to calling me one of the guys. Which, I suppose is a compliment, in some ways.

Today, one of my guy friends made a comment... "The construction site is filled with tough guys...you'd fit right in."

I know that all of these are just jokes, but sometimes they get me thinking. Being a tomboy is okay when you're 10 and feeling awkward from puberty. But when you're freshly graduated, I wonder how flattering it is to be called 'one of the guys'.

Not so much. Whenever they say it, I feel like the wind has been sucked out of my sails. Is that how they view me? As just another guy?

How do I uphold principles of biblical femininity when the guys just see me as another one of them?

This requires thought.

2 commentaires:

Sid S. a dit...

it just means that ur normal and don't make other men feel awkward coz of ur tendency to swing from one emotional extreme to another without notice. it means that prov. 31, the woman who wakes up early in the morning to provide, a hard-worker in the eyes of men, is the type of woman that they see you as.

biblical femininity = deborah :P i wonder how the modern church would see her as...

Jonathan P a dit...

Haha, this blog reminds me of when you posted on this exact subject earlier in the year :P

It's probably a compliment ;)