samedi, juillet 14, 2007

*warning...sentimental cheese ahead.*
brother.

I've always secretly hoped an older brother would turn up somehow. Biologically impossible, I know. But it has always been a hope of mine. Someone who would give me advice about which boys I should stay away from. Someone annoying who would come round and mess up my hair and beat up anyone who would give me grief. Someone who I would admire and would set up my girlfriends with.

Somehow, it never happened. An older, long lost, biological brother did not suddenly materialize. And yet, in many ways he did.

Tonight, I said my first REAL goodbye. It was a goodbye that mattered, because this friend matters to me. In the four years we've known each other, he has truly demonstrated to me what it means to have a brother. He's been a brother, a protector, a friend. He has listened to me complain about boys, given me good advice, and he's been supremely annoying. He has talked to me about girls, and makes me proud when talks about how he desires to guard their hearts and serve them. He's worn funny clothing, and I've been able to tease him about how he only wears primary colours. His friendship has shown me that it is indeed possible to have healthy relationships with guys and treat them like brothers.

Everyone says that Warren is the most relational person they know. I've experienced this firsthand. I experienced it the first time I met him, and had to yawn loudly to get him out of my rez room and go home. I experienced it during our weekly Tuesday lunches, and I experienced it today, as I met up with him to say goodbye.

I'll miss laughing at Warren's jokes, chastising him for not being chivalrous, teaching him how to open doors for girls, and giving him advice on how to pursue girls. I will miss his advice and I will miss his irish green clothing.

Somehow, I feel like tonight was one of the hardest goodbyes. I didn't cry when we parted ways, but I cried as I sat on the subway coming home. I'll really miss my older brother.



2 commentaires:

Justin Alm a dit...
Ce commentaire a été supprimé par l'auteur.
Justin Alm a dit...

This is a super touching post. It great to read about such a close friendship.