mardi, septembre 11, 2007

Women's MMA


I was sitting and waiting at a dentist office today, waiting for the dentist to finish so that I could do a support appointment with her. I picked up a copy of TIME magazine and read THIS article. (click here too).

Two lines that have gotten me thinking:

"I don't want to see two women beatin' on each other. I don't like it." ~ Dana White

"To be able to potentially break somebody's arm is pretty cool for me."~ Jessica Pene

Is it a double standard to say that I identify with what White is saying? In the eyes of the secularized public, does it make me just as "chauvinist"? That I'd watch, or at least condone men beating on each other, but that hearing about women beating on each other makes me cringe is probably making many feminists...or many WOMEN cringe.
Is this an inborn thing or is it a conservative traditionalist perspective? A realization that as a woman, I want the knight in shining armour who fights, but wouldn't want to be the knight myself? Or is it a socialized thing?
If I see men fighting men as a sport, akin to karate or running, then why am I cringing when it's women fighting women?
What is Biblical femininity and masculinity in this case?
Whereas most males would say the goal isn't to necessarily maim one's opponent but to get them to tap out, many females in this sport, seem to have a different desire.
The desire to break one's arm is different from a desire to win.

I don't know what to think...I obviously have more questions than answers.


This blog will definitely be polarizing in terms of an audience...and I'm being very careful (but probably not enough) about what I say....

Because 6 years ago, the feminist me would have wanted to break my arm..right about now.

3 commentaires:

Justin Alm a dit...

Hey, I was thinking about this at work today. I downloaded Driscoll's podcast on Pleasure. I think these women may be gifted as great fighters. I think it all comes down to the personal motivation of each individual fighter. I don't think I have an issue with women MMA just the individuals within it. I have the same opinion of males. To quote one of my favorite inventors, George Foreman:

"I want to keep fighting because it is the only thing that keeps me out of the hamburger joints. If I don't fight, I'll eat this planet."

Unknown a dit...

Yeah, I don't think I enjoy watching women fighting women. Maybe because it seems to defy what we as women know deep down to be essentially feminine.
I'm not vehemently against it, but something about it just feels...odd? Not quite right? Dare I say...wrong?

monica a dit...

I honestly don't like fighting period-- whether it be between men or women. I think wrestling is dumb, and women wrestling/fighting doesn't make them more powerful, intelligent, or more respected. Bottom line, what's the point? If you want physical exercise, there are other sports out there. Save fighting for self-defence purposes.

That being said--- did you get my message I sent last night? I gave your support donation online yesterday!