lundi, octobre 22, 2007

Did i ever tell you...

How much I hate shopping for boots? Well, now you know. I hate boot shopping.

Firstly, I just don't get the ABUNDANCE of boots with massively high heels. I understand that some people might like dress boots for work and such....but when 95% of boots have heels, it just puzzles me.

See, I'm under the impression that people wear boots in the WINTER when it SNOWS. And while I realize that some girls are trapeze artists and can balance in heels on ICE (that's TALENT, for sure!), I sure as heck cannot.

Then, there are the nineties looking cowboy biker boots. Now, I know that I live in Alberta, but GOSH, there is NO excuse for these:



Nor is there an excuse for these:



Gosh, even Ferris Bueller's girlfriend wore "nicer" boots, and that was in 1986!


Last year, I bought a pair of cute boots.



They are easy to walk in, lined with some sort of faux fur (so they're extremely warm)...and generally just a happy pair of boots! That is..until I'd step in snow. Then, life would change and for the rest of the day, my feet would be miserable and cold. Nonetheless, I still love them, and they still make a great fall boot.

Today, I knew I had to buy a pair of boots that I could use to trek in slush and snow. Last winter, my feet were perpetually wet and perpetually cold. I've heard that Montreal is colder than Toronto in the winter, and since I won't have a car, and won't be living 5 minutes from campus, I knew that I had to invest in something practical. Problem being, anything practical is just so ugly!

For example:
Who actually wears these? I can't decide. Is it an elf? Or a cowgirl? Or maybe a native cowgirl who also desires to be elfish? I don't know.

Or how about these:



I'm sure I wore some deviation of this when I was 5 years old and bubble jackets were still in...but I'm 21, not 5, and silver bubble jackets went out of style in 1995.

So, as you can see, going boot shopping was a pain today. Maybe I'm just picky, and hey, if you have any of the boots listed above, I'm sure you make them work somehow. You'd think, in the world's largest shopping mall, one wouldn't need to look too hard to find a pair of boots. But we looked in almost every shoe store....

This is how I know God answers prayer. At the last shoe store, I was desperate, and prayed, "Lord, help me find the right boots, because this is INSANE."

And.....

voila!



They're waterproof, they match my brown winter jacket, the foot shape is almost exactly the same as my other pair (I'm all about the rounded toes) but they're about half the height, AND they have birds on them! BIRDS! I'm ALL about birds this season. Anyways, they're probably something I would've worn when I was 5, and they're definitely not haute couture...but hey, at least I'll be able to walk on ice AND retain SOME semblance of dignity, without looking like I'm an elf, a biker, Mia Sara in 1986 or a 5 year old in the winter at recess with chunky boots.

P.S. If you saw any of the above boots, and for some reason or other, desire to purchase them (I can only hope, to dress up for halloween), all of them, other than the two pairs i own, are available at any Aldo store in Canada. And yes, I DID see all of the above today, while I was at the mall. So I DO know that they are in stock.

7 commentaires:

Sid S. a dit...

dear lydia,

i think u should learn how to wear boots with heels coz ur a big girl now...

when i was a child, i wore children's boots... but when you become a woman, you should put away such childish things

lowonthego a dit...

hahahahah. that was hilarious.

i guess i can take what i dish.


LOL.

When i went to the hairdresser, she asked me if i had just graduated from high school.

haha.

and hmmm yeah...no to the heels. Reason being is this....

Yes, they'd be nice for some special occasions.... but i'd never wear them during times other than special occasions. It's not like i'm going to traipse around campus wearing heeled boots in the winter.

So there's no way I'm paying $200 for something I'd wear MAYBE 6 times in a winter.

lowonthego a dit...

also, i have fat calves.....and so tall boots just don't work.

and... i'm not opposed to heels in general...

stephanie a dit...

What a lovely, light-hearted post. :) And I love your boots!!!!! Esp. loving the birds. :) Haven't seen too many Rocketdog boots in Ottawa......

Haha, it seems like we have many of the same shopping dilemmas! I too need boots but can't find a good pair..... although the Ugg-looking boots look practical and cute. They all look the same though! We shall see. :P I'm not very good at "shopping missions", so it's all dependent on happy accidents when I breeze through a mall on some other business. Lol :D

Beth a dit...

can i buy the same boots? i share your thoughts on all things boot-related... i like the ones you ended up with.

It's My DLu! a dit...

i can't believe your longest post in forever is about boots.

haha ... i stopped reading like 1/4 of the way down and kept scrolling ...

and scrolling ...

and scrolling ...

and scrolling ...


ahahaa ... ah well. i'm asuming you got those brown boots @ the end. hahaha.

anyway, YA montreal!!!

lowonthego a dit...

beth: hehe, you may! They have them in grey/pink and black/grey as well!!! I'll letcha know if they're ACTUALLY waterproof! :)

darren: boots are an important part of life. Embrace them. Don't be a hater.