lundi, décembre 10, 2007

church.

I woke up this morning, with a sense of dread. I didn't want to head outside in the cold air and head to a church, seemingly equally as frigid. I'm sure it's not as unfriendly as I perceive it to be; I've met people who have been willing to help me put up my bookshelf, my boss and his wife go there, a girl I disciple goes there. Yet, the only person who has ever really reached out to me, without making me feel like a burden, is the pastor's wife. In the five or so weeks I have attended, I have met some people, but each week, I sit alone. Being new is hard. It requires a lot of proactivity. I am not a proactive person when it comes to meeting new people in an unfamiliar setting. January will be better, I tell myself. I will start going to Sunday school, and I will get plugged into a small group. Today was my last Sunday there until the new year. I was late coming in, sat alone, and left right after service. I didn't want to face the aloneness. There was a sense of relief to not have to play the 'new person role' for a couple of weeks.

As I think about this, I think about the recurrent theme of loneliness this year. Edmonton was a lonely time, and even before that, loneliness was something that seemed to follow me around. A shroud. I sat in service, realizing that this year, so many things have been stripped away, leaving me naked, exposed and confused. Somewhere in the midst, Jesus is there. The only constant. I am not alone.

He says, "Follow me."

This journey excites me.

2 commentaires:

Justin Alm a dit...

A word of encouragement:

I have never felt connected in a church until I was in a small group this fall. I think you'll connect with people in the new year but it always takes work. I've found, some of the people I initially connected with at my church, I don't see as much of them. On the other hand, people I didn't make as much effort to connect with slowly became my friends. I think your Sunday school class and small group will be great sources of friendship. If I'm wrong, you can say so in the new year.

Terra a dit...

I agree with Justin.
Man, it takes time! brutally long for some reason. But it pays off in the long run. The small group I joined my first year in Toronto now includes some of my most dearest friends and supporters, even though it has changed so many times. Dig in girl.