jeudi, janvier 31, 2008

crafts.

So..i tried out the gocco today. It arrived in the mail on Monday. I made a little drawing to test it out.

Hmm...initial thoughts.

It's WAY easier to use than screenprinting! The cleanup is next to nothing and it's FAST. It's kinda pricey though. The starter kit comes with four bulbs and two screens, and it requires two bulbs (one-time use only) and one screen to make the screenprint. This means that you can only make two designs before having to order more materials from Japan. Thus, to make a t-shirt, it costs around 39 dollars ($20 for the shirt, $14 for the bulb+screen, $5 for the amount of ink). Despite these drawbacks, it's a REALLY great system!

I did some test runs and they went smoothly! Then, i progressed to a little coin purse/wallet thingy I had made this summer. I had botched the lining inside the wallet thing, so I wasn't afraid to use it as a trial for my print. It turned out relatively well. So, i decided to try it on an american apparel t-shirt I had gotten, specifically for this inaugural event.

TRAGEDY!!!!! i fully botched the t-shirt. it's quite DEVASTATING!!! This is my sad face:


I have an idea though, to redeem the t-shirt. I'll try it out tomorrow once I assemble my materials.

In the meantime, here are some pictures of the little wallet I made. Not bad for a first run, i suppose. (p.s. if you don't recognize it, the skyline is the Montreal skyline.)



*edit: okay so I tried out the t-shirt today. I'm realizing that the right fabric choice is important in the process...but i think i'd still wear this t-shirt out of the house. maybe.

6 commentaires:

Coralee a dit...

looks great!

Paulman a dit...

Your wallet is beautiful. And I feel secure enough to say that.

And what does your t-shirt look like? I'm curious!

lowonthego a dit...

hahaha thanks guys!!!!

Justin Alm a dit...

People will buy your stuff. I really like your design here. Very cool.

Anonyme a dit...

I think both look quite nice. But I've got to comment on the gocco. One-time use bulbs? That just sounds like it's defective by design... couldn't they make them good enough to NOT burn out every time? I guess it needs the heat, but there has got to be a better way. :)

Paulman a dit...

Just remember what Jesus said about old patches on new wineskins, and stuff like that.

/end spiritual comment