jeudi, janvier 17, 2008

fonts.

I'm kinda irritated. Just semi. Not full out. Not angry. Just a little bit irritated. I REALLY like fonts. I REALLY believe that just changing a font can turn a full out crap newsletter/magazine article/website/poster/cereal box/ (insert any print media here) into crap or even semi-decency. If I spend an hour of my own time choosing fonts for work that I do, it's because I know it means the difference between a good piece of work and a great piece of work. People didn't invent fonts other than Times New Roman because they thought print was fine with JUST one font. Graphic Designers with a specialty in typography don't just sit and invent fonts because there's nothing else to do. There's a reason why companies choose different fonts for their logos and even go as far as hiring a graphic designer to design them an original font JUST for their letterheads.

Now of course, there's more to design than just fonts. But often time, the reason why posters that untrained individuals put out are crap is because of poor choices. Poor colour choices. Poor font choices. Poor alignment choices. At a certain point, it becomes a difference in stylistic opinion. Yet, there are STILL some rules that, for the most part, should be followed. I strive to not make poor choices. I'd rather spend the extra hour knowing I've made good choices.

So it
a) irritates me when people make fun of me for spending that time choosing fonts or colours.
b) irritates me when people who don't give two hoots about design ask for advice, then make FUN of me for deliberating over things and then don't take my advice.
c) irritates me that in the Christian community, so often, crappy work goes out because of "pleasantries" and "niceties". Because we want to value the person's work, we rarely do proper critique like in the secular world.
d) irritates me when others will not critique my work because they're afraid of offending me. How can one improve without criticism?

Anyways, this is my rant for today.

Addendum: CLIP ART and WORD ART are from the 90s. There is RARELY, if at all, an excuse to USE CLIP ART AND WORD ART.

6 commentaires:

Jess Versteeg a dit...

dude! I fully understand about the difference fonts make. One font says "western" and the other one screams "feminine" and you just can't use one in place of the other. I used to spend tons of time choosing a font when i was doing publicity posters. What's also annoying is when you're coding for a blog template or something and you find the perfect font, and realize its not standard on most computers so it just substitutes it with Times or Courier New. *shudder*

also, comic sans should be erased from existence and history in general.

Silas a dit...

amen. (raises hands into the air)

Justin Alm a dit...

amen. (raises his fists into the air and tears his shirt in no way trying to top silas's comment but in affirmation)

Justin Alm a dit...

Oh man, and you have trendy French buttons now?!

Paulman a dit...

Don't tell John Sundara about the Clip Art and Word Art, btw. I do think he makes decent use of it, though.

Back to your post: I'm in charge of Promotions at SFU C4C, and what drives me nuts is that I do know what is lousy design - but I am powerless to make myself do good design. I don't know how! It's like rolling the dice, with me!

And how come blogger has buttons in French, now? Quel est "publier commentaire"? :O

lowonthego a dit...

haha i have NO clue how this french stuff happened!!! hahaha.

i didn't change any settings....

but cool!!!! FRANCOPHONES REPRESENT! *thumps chest in a fist*