jeudi, octobre 23, 2008

fashion advice, please!

Okay, i have to admit. i am the type to rarely ask for fashion advice. i follow the basic rules, but generally speaking, if you think i am dressing far out there, it's because i intend to. Had i the desire to dress particularly preppy or emo or (insert style here), i'd probably be able to. My roommate often tells me i lack style; maybe i do lack style, but i think it may also be that i just don't dress like my roommate. She's much more classy. i like to think of myself as being more hippie indie..but who really knows what i am? It's a pride thing; i like to be unclassifiable. Makes me feel more independent, ya know?

Anyways, tonight i am humbly beseeching you all for fashion advice. i am headed to a wedding on Sunday, and i need fashion advice.

So this is the dress i have:

(apologies for the poor quality)

The dress falls just above my knees. Here's my dilemma. This is one of those dresses that you can wear with sheer nylons (i was thinking black tights) OR with black leggings that end at your calves.

Sadly, today when i went to find black leggings, I couldn't.

Instead, I found these:

Gray cable-knit sweater tights. I know, I know, in your minds, you're screaming, "Don't do this, Lydia!" And i know many of you are siding with my roommate in the "dress classy" ideology. But give me a chance and imagine this with me:

The dress, paired with the cable-knit sweater tights, a pair of vintage-y flats, and vintage jewellery. Kinda going for the vintage, 60s/70s look, ya know? But, by admission, sometimes i go overboard. It works on a normal day, because let's face it. The 60s, 70s, 80s AND 90s are in. But this is, afterall, a wedding..and i'll concede that a little class needs to be displayed.

So, what should I do, ladies and gents? Should I go for broke and try out the vintage look? (with these shoes:)

or.. should I do the responsible, adult thing, and pair the dress with a pair of sheer black nylons and a pair of gold flats that kill my feet and bruise them all up?

You have until Saturday night to tell me what the right choice is.

12 commentaires:

Suzanne a dit...

Hey Lydia,

I really like your style. For your dilemma for Saturday I personally am leaning toward the second option because it sounds nice with the gold shoes and you could pair it up with some nice gold jewelery if you have it. I'm not sure what you've decided for the sweater but perhaps a black one would be nice if you went the route of the black and gold. I think you could pull off the first one for sure, however, I really like the sound of the other colours.. It seems more fall to end of fall. you know? Anyway I think you're in a sweet situation because either choice would be good. Wow this is a long post. Sorry.

Suzanne a dit...

also.. i really like your dress.. so nice!

Angelic Engineer a dit...

is it possible to show a post of the outfit all together, or would that give away your grand entrance on Sunday? It's kinda hard to understand the colour of the sweater tights from the ligthing in the photo (they look blue).

joelle a dit...

definitely the adult responsible thing! haha its just classier for a wedding, you can have nice shoes (even tho the price you pay is sore feet), a matching colored pashmina to drape and cover you if you're cold and look all pretty and elegant!:)

Beth a dit...

i'm leaning towards the fun retro outfit, but mostly because i wish i had the guts/style to do something like that myself.

however, i also agree that the tights look a little blue in the pic, and seeing the ensemble together would give a better idea of its' feasibility.

also, is this an afternoon or evening wedding? does that make a difference? i don't know wedding etiquette well enough...

Sid S. a dit...

do the responsible adult thing. do your fashion on another day. this is their day... and not the time to try and put on something that could potentially steal the attention away from the bride.

plus, the whole idea screams horror to me. maybe coz i haven't seen it. but this is a wedding, and there are rules and etiquettes that needs to be followed.

lowonthego a dit...

oh sid,

just the fact that you said that....means that i'm going to do the opposite thing.

wearing gray cable knit tights isn't gonna distract from anyone. LOL.

Deepak a dit...

don't do it lydia!! I can just imagine it in my head... the colours just don't go, you know?

It clashes!

I would go for black stiletto heels. But gold sounds fine too.

Anonyme a dit...

Lydia,

That is a beautiful dress and it will go well with high heels. YOu would look stunning with your hair sweep up.

Don't spoil that dress with that knitted tights. It would look so bizzare and out of place. This is not for a special occasion to wear, Pehaps in a less formal gathering would be fine.

Anonyme a dit...

a) i cannot BELIEVE i messed up the possibility of seeing you today.
b) on to more pressing issues...
-you have KILLER sense of style.
-i would TOTALLY do the dress with the grey cable knit stockings. i would do it...scratch that i think i've done that but sans the cable knit.

ps: those shoes are mint and totally cute and adorable...much like yourself.

wear what you want to wear. you'll look classy and amazing whatever you end up wearing. you have style miss. low.

-abanesss

Suzanne a dit...

curious minds want to know.. what did you decide to do??

Olympia Lui a dit...

Oh Sorry I'm late. :( What DID you wear ? I like your style a lot. But this is a wedding... hmmm.

Ps. Rudsak Shoes do NOT kill your feet :D