jeudi, septembre 28, 2006


tofurkey.

today has been a good day despite waking up at a devastatingly early hour, biking 10k in the rain to rowing, only to discover that my rowing partner had slept in.
i waltzed into class, got 100% on a quiz, started crocheting a very fun scarf and then went over to archie and cindy's house. i hadn't met cindy yet, so about a week ago i e-mailed her and introduced myself. knowing how hard it is to be in a new city without very many support structures and a fairly new mom, i decided to visit her and serve her in any way i could. So today, i went over to Cindy's house, we chatted and then i helped her mop the floors and clean the bathroom, while she made Sean's food (sean is archie and cindy's 11 month old baby). i realized, while i was scrubbing away at the toilet, that i really find joy out of serving people...even when its just a small, mundane thing like windexing bathroom mirrors.

which brings me to the point of this blog.

its almost thanksgiving once again. now, for those of you who do not know, while i have been in Toronto, thanksgiving has become my least favourite long weekend. its always a hard weekend for me. its around the time where i've been away from home long enough to miss my parents, and i fully admit to being jealous. i'm envious of my friends who are able to go home and enjoy a home cooked meal with the family, while i sit alone in my apartment eating something probably not as exciting as turkey, sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce.
this isn't to say i haven't been blessed; last year, my good friend andrew mckenzie invited me over to his house for thanksgiving, which was simply fantastic. it was also an answer to prayer, since i had actually cried because of loneliness the night before.

but this year, i've been mentally preparing myself for thanksgiving, knowing that once again, i would be here alone in my apartment while everyone is enjoying fellowship with the family. today however, i had the realization that i'm probably not the only one who doesn't have as many support structures in Toronto. i have friends who don't have family here! So, i have decided to work on my hospitality, and invite people to a thanksgiving dinner chez lydia. no more wallowing in some sort of self-pity! pfft. it won't be the same as enjoying time with family, and it won't be very fancy.. but i'm sure we'll have fun. even if only one other person comes.

So here it is, the invitation.

any of you blog stalkers out there who don't have family to celebrate thanksgiving with in Toronto (or who just want to mooch a meal off of someone) are invited to a thanksgiving dinner chez lydia. there's only two conditions: 1) you have to KNOW me to come. if you are a stranger who blog stalks me, sorry, you're not invited. that would be way creepy. 2) you have to RSVP by either commenting, or e-mailing me.

date: to be determined. probably friday, so that people who do want to come who have family dinners on sunday and monday can also make it.

** the picture above is a stock photo....

5 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit...

mmmm.... turkey dinner! Love you so much Lyds! Good talking to you tonight...you're such a blessing to my life.

Anonyme a dit...

hahah you stalker! you actually commented!!!

wexly sweet..

Anonyme a dit...

well, if you do have dinner on friday i should be able to make it. maybe i will even bake something! but tofu turkey...

Anonyme a dit...

Heya Lyds,

I'm having a thanksgiving dinner for friends on Oct 6th(fri) if you would like to come by for some food and fellowship, let me know :) Deej and your roommates are welcome too.

-nard(vince)

Anonyme a dit...

I might take you up on this offer Lyds :) Keep me posted on date and time etc. ;)