vendredi, janvier 26, 2007

oh so silly.
(this is a looong one!)

This song makes me laugh. Mainly the first verse, which goes something like,

"you know you're stunning
absolutely stunning and I'm running always running
and now I'm crying
you know only cause I'm caring
and if you were more daring maybe you'd stop staring
and come over and talk to me
and tell me about how you've been waiting patiently
and how you tried but I just turned away
and I'll say, "yeah well you know, I'm shy that way."

Oh, tristan and jason. You have hit the nail on the head in terms of the sentiments and actions of almost every girl in existence, with the exception of the super flirty girls that drop hints like bombs on hiroshima (thanks for letting me switch around your phrase, Jelena).
Lately, i have been bonding with many girlfriends. A recurrent theme which comes up, of course, is boys. duh. This seems to be how girls bond. Alongside this recurrent theme of boys is the story that Prettyman and Mraz seem to have described.

Girls, have you ever done this? i'm willing to put money on the table and say that almost every girl has done this. Some, admittedly do this more than others (and by some, i really mean, me). That's in large why the first verse of the song makes me laugh. What a verity in my life! In talking to my girlfriends, this has occurred to almost all of them in some form or another in their relationships with their friends who are guys. Which brings me to my latest thought in the realm of relationships.

as Christian girls, we have this notion of being romanced by a knight on a white horse, who'll brave dragons and evil stepmothers and witches to gain our affections. There seems to be this ideal of a guy who will pursue at all costs; the man who will pursue rather blindly, without needing hints or knowing the girl's affections, is highly esteemed. While some may not be as extreme as others in this position, there seems to be some sort of general consensus that a girl waits around, does her own thing, and somehow, hopefully the guy she is interested in will notice her. Of course, waiting around does not entail sitting around and doing nothing, the girl is to engage in growing to become a woman of God. Nevertheless, there seems to be disdain when a girl does any sort of "pursuing". Telling a guy she likes him, before he says anything, seems to be a mark of someone feisty and feminist in tendency.
While i say all of this flippantly, as though i do not agree with any of it, the truth is, i believe there is much goodness in the notions of being female and waiting patiently, and being male and stepping up in pursuance.

However, the question i ask myself is... do i subscribe to this notion of chivalry because i actually believe in it? OR, do i subscribe to this because it means that i need not put my feelings on the line and face rejection?

Here are my thoughts.

There is much to be said about letting men take the lead in relationships. i firmly believe that God has ordained different roles for men and women, and that leadership is a God-given role to men. Often times, women, in our impatience, snatch away this title from men, and then wonder why men are not stepping up. Thus, i believe that in romantic relationships, or those awkward "in-between" stages, it ought to be men who take the initiative with women. If a guy is interested in a girl, and would like to go beyond the "we're just friends stage", he ought to make it known that this is something he desires. Conversely, if a guy is not interested in a girl, but has a sneaking suspicion that the girl might feel otherwise, he should take the initiative to clarify their friendship and make it known that he is not interested in taking their friendship to another level. These are some examples of how men can take initiative in relationships.

This having been said, i want to leave some thoughts for sisters out there who read this blog. There is much to be said about encouraging men in their roles. Though some may not agree with me (and i think much of this is also a personal choice based on personal convictions), i think that remaining stoic puts both men and women at a disadvantage. Some girls don't believe in giving any hints to guys that they might be interested. It can be argued that this would signal pursuing, they would say. Many would also follow this with a statement such as, "If he is a solid guy, he will take the risk, regardless of whether or not he knows the girl is interested." However, i postulate, in my liberalness (i jest, i do not find myself liberal), that there is nothing wrong with encouraging a guy to pursue. Sometimes, we hide behind the idea of guarding our hearts, when in reality, it is not our hearts we are attempting to guard, but our pride. i think that it is alright to make it known to men around us that we wouldn't mind hanging out with them, and allowing them to take steps of faith, instead of shutting them down. i think its perfectly alright to give the guys we are interested some extra attention. If they are not interested, they can make it clear to us that they aren't interested.
i suppose, what i am trying to say is that sometimes, we remain stoic and "turn away", as tristan prettyman puts it, not because of conviction, or because we desire to guard our hearts, but because we are fearful of rejection. There seems to be some sort of idea of placing women on pedestals. Somehow, this strikes me as being unfair for men. What guy wants to fight a dragon if the girl on the other side doesn't want to be fought for? (well..Jesus, but that's a whole other story...or is it?). It is true, there will be some guys who will take the leap and pursue blindly. This is commendable. However, i do not think it is a staple, and i think regardless, us as women should concurrently be working on encouraging men in their leadership, not just expecting them to take leadership when it comes to relationships.

11 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit...

hahaha. i am totally guilty of that. "i like him so i think im going to avoid him as much as i can so he doesnt know i like him but i really hope he can read my mind and chases after me". why do we DO that?? i think its ok to drop hints here and there.
i loved our boy bonding time on the subway hahah.
"lint" - that will always make me laugh :).

Anonyme a dit...

i'll pick YOUR lint off of you like a chimp, pri. have my babies. haha.

Anonyme a dit...

hahaa...oh lyds and pri. been there done that. still doing it. i think it's mostly the pride. ;D but i wouldn't want to be dropping bombs on hiroshima either.

Anonyme a dit...

So I'm only commenting because you're making me do it.

Anyway, the way I see it is a relationship is a two-way thing, and if a girl acts like she isn't interested, it's basically telling guys to go look elsewhere. I agree totally that guys need to take the initiative in relationships, but at the same time, I also think that girls need to give us a break, because we're not mind readers. Most of us have enough trouble understanding girls when we're not trying to ask them out.

I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes guys may not know what to do, especially if a girl is playing hard to get. For myself, when a girl starts acting cold or whatever, I don't know what else to think but, she doesn't want anything to do with me, so I'll just stay away from her, because obviously I did something to offend her. Basically, if for any reason a girl decided to go cold on me or whatever, my first thought is, "I wonder what I did to piss her off?" and the second thing that crosses my mind is, "Maybe I should give her some room so I don't piss her off even more" Whether or not I did something stupid is beside the point, but I do tend to do stupid things without knowing until after the fact. For the record, I am not assuming every girl that treats me like crap likes me. It's just hypothetically speaking. But if girls really do pull that stoic act, it'd be nice if they could make things easier for guys and give us a little push in the right direction once in a while.

I have no idea if what I said makes sense, or if it's offensive to anybody. But I'm not trying to be. I'm just missing a filter between my brain and my mouth/hands.

Anonyme a dit...

Hmmm... but.. (in reference to your "if you figure it out, let the girl know that you are only interested in remaining friends") how do you figure that out? I wouldn't know :(

Anonyme a dit...

jon p, do you mean... how do you figure out if the girl might like you beyond a friend?

i'm not sure what you meant by figuring out?

Anonyme a dit...

Aye you've got it.

Anonyme a dit...

hmm. good question.

sometimes you just gotta wait for the "vibe"...as cheesy as it sounds.

other times, girls drop hints like bombs on Hiroshima, as my friend Jelena puts it and are just super flirty...

the question you have posed may be a better question for a really perceptive guy to answer. maybe i'll get my friend Joel to answer this... he's a very perceptive brother of mine. we'll see if he will. in the meantime..let me try to put a dent in this.







i don't want this to become some sort of "key to figuring out girls" because i think it really depends on the situation. its not as though i can say "if the girl hangs out with you a lot, it means she likes you"...it could be..or it could also be that she sees you as a brother... know what i mean?


all this to say, i guess its always better safe than sorry. Even being outright honest and telling a girl, "i just wanted to clarify where our relationship is at, so that you don't get the wrong impression" is an okay thing to say. its actually very admirable and muchly appreciated by us sisters. :)

being intentional doesn't just start when you decide to go for it in a romantic relationship... it starts in every friendship you're already a part of.

i dont think that helped much...sorry!

Anonyme a dit...

a message for the men:

if you really like the girl, go out on a limb and tell her how you feel.

a message for the women:

if a guy tells you how he feels, be honest -- whether you reciprocate or not.

there's gotta be risk involved. if there's none, where's the adventure? girls want to be pursued and guys should have the (excuse the language) the balls to pursue her :)

Anonyme a dit...

yeah dlu! that was AMAZING.

"guys should have the balls to pursue her"

AMAZING.

Anonyme a dit...

Lydia, that bit about being intentional in friendship too was actually a helpful bit of advice.

*Mmf... balls. Whenever I hear that word now, I think about the story that Mark Driscoll told where he gathered the men at his church together, rebuked them for a few hours, then gave them two rocks as they left the church - the imagery being that he was giving them back their balls.*