jeudi, mars 01, 2007

SNOW!!!!!!!!!!


The last time there was a "snowstorm" in Toronto large enough to cancel classes was when I was in first year. I distinctly remember this day, because I had an Economics exam, which I completely wasn't ready for. Despite having studied for weeks, I couldn't seem to grasp the concepts, which were, according to Professor Wolfson, common sense knowledge. For the honours with distinction, high school perfectionist, it was way too hard to admit that Economics wasn't for me. On the day of the exam, I was SO fearful of writing the exam. In university, there have been times when I have been stressed out over papers and exams, but I have never felt more stressed than I did that day. I prayed fervently for a miracle to deliver me from writing the exam. I prayed that somehow, something would happen, and I would be given another week to struggle through the problem sets.

That day, it snowed more than I had ever seen in my 4 months of living in Toronto. Nevertheless, it was old hat for me, the Edmontonian, who is used to huge dumps of snow. My current roommate, who was just my classmate at the time mentioned that it would probably be a snowday, and I remember laughing at her, telling her that I had never experienced a snowday in my life in Edmonton, and this couldn't possibly be enough snow to warrant a snowday.
As though not understanding Economics was not enough of a hit to my pride, I was proven wrong, because when we got to the examination location, there was a sign posted on the door: "Class has been cancelled. The examination will be deferred to next week." I have never felt SUCH relief in my life (other than the day I came to Christ); truly, I believe a miracle happened that day! God had heard my prayer!!

This past Monday, I had an exam for which I had been studying for for over two weeks, and yet still felt as though concepts were fuzzy in my brain. So, I sent up a little prayer, praying for a snowstorm large enough to cancel classes. I even got other people to pray for a snowstorm! It didn't come. I went in to write the exam, and I have to say, it was one of the worst exams I have ever written in university. Anyways, I'm over it now. It wasn't for the lack of studying that I found it difficult, so I'm not beating myself up over it.

All this to say, sometimes, I find God to have a wonderful and delightful sense of humour. The snowstorm that I prayed for came today. Three days too late. However, I was thoroughly able to enjoy it as I walked home from classes (oh yeah, classes were cancelled AFTER I had already attended my only thursday class, which makes the hilarity of this snowstorm even MORE salient). As people grumbled about the lack of public transportation (streetcars came grinding to a halt), and as drivers became confused at intersections, and as other such chaos ensued around me, I was brought back to what it's like back home in Edmonton on a daily basis during the winter.
Truly, life has come around full circle, like bookends on a shelf. I started off my first university midterms with a snowstorm, and a snowstorm has marked the end of my last university midterms.

As I walked out of class today, I put on Sandra McCracken and walked with a smile on my face, praising God for beautiful snow which now coats the streets and buildings of Toronto like vanilla icing on a chocolate cupcake.

0 commentaires: