dimanche, mars 18, 2007

ttc.

From time to time, I become obsessed over certain things. The sensation of starting a new project always leaves an indelible impression in my mind. For awhile, it was t-shirt making. Then collecting buttons. Then jewelry making. Then lomography. I enjoy doing all of these things; making art is a form of worship that I can't seem to get enough of. Accompanied by a CD (or those new fangled things called MP3s), I could spend the whole of my days wandering around looking for more opportunities to create and enjoy creation.

Lately, I have been obsessed with the TTC. The subway stations are architecturally phenomenal (although, compared to Montreal, they can't hold their own). They fascinate me, down to the Helvetica/ Univers typeface and tile patterns. I recently ordered a set of buttons (yes, geeky, i know) and I simply can't wait to put them on a purse or backpack. Is this utterly nerdy? I tell you this not to demonstrate how utterly bizarre of a person I am, but because they have inspired me to begin a summer project come May.

Have you ever been to every single station and observed the architecture? If not, you should come with me and be my photoblogging buddy! I want to do a photo essay of all the subway stations in Toronto, from Kipling to Kennedy, Lawrence East to McCowan, Downsview to Finch and Sheppard-Yonge to Don Mills. ! It'll be an adventure to remember, sometime this summer.





7 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit...

-Well? Shall we go?
-pull on your trousers.
-What?
-Pull on your trousers.
-You want me to pull off my trousers?
-Pull ON your trousers.
-(realizing his trousers are down). True. He pulls up his trousers.
-Well? Shall we go?
-Yes, lets go.

lowonthego a dit...

-You should have been a poet
-I was. Isn't that obvious?

silence

Jess Versteeg a dit...

Haha, man... I thought I was the only one. Not so much the TTC as the Metro. I actually pretty much LIVED to ride the metro in Montreal, and it's a big part of what I miss. I guess that's further proof I really am a country girl (just NOT the kind of music). Did I tell you about that time that I was living with the Bellinghams post-project and was lonely and sad and so I went & rode the Metro listening to my iPod/praying for a couple hours? *sigh* We better get assigned to Montreal when we join staff.

Unknown a dit...

wow, my friend from NYC visiting last weekend was marvelling at how cool the typeface was of the TTC stations. you guys should talk. haha.

those buttons are way cool :) i have to say my favourite station is Rosedale... so pretty to read and look at... although i just found out that Dupont has these incredible mosaics...!! who knew! your summer adventure sounds like fun!

Justin Alm a dit...

Wow, those buttons are sweet. I don't think I could choose a fave but OSGOODE and ST. ANDREW look niiiiice. Can you divulge the information of which said persons you ordered these most spectacular buttons from?

lowonthego a dit...

haha totally!!!

I ordered them from an environmental/urban development magazine called Spacing.

You can check them out here

stephanie a dit...

ooh! that sounds like a fun summer project!! and so does photo-blogging trips in general. hmm..... makes me want to think of something i can try in o-town....