mercredi, mai 30, 2007

people.

I opened the cheque she gave me, and I cried. It was so over and beyond what I had expected. Later, when I met up with her, I began to thank her, but she cut me off.

"No, I am the one that needs to thank you. A long time ago, you told me that we not only needed to tithe our money, but our time. I noticed that you take notes every Sunday in a journal, so I started doing the same. Because of these two lessons you taught me, I am now more receptive to what God has to say to me. I am indebted to you."

***

"Do you want me to tell you the amount I am going to support you," he said after a round of mini golf.
"Sure."
"___/month"
I had to ask him if he was serious.
He looked me in the eyes, and said, "Yes."
I had to look away. I was scared I would start crying.

***

"I believe in what God is using you to do. I want to be a part of it."

***
"Even before you asked me to meet up with you, I had already been thinking about supporting you."

***

"I want to take you shopping sometime. I know that when you're support raising, things are tight, and as a girl, you see lots of pretty things, like makeup and swimsuits, and dresses..but you can't afford it, or feel as though you should be more cautious with your money. Let me take you out and get you some things for you to enjoy."

***

Support raising hasn't been easy. Many mornings and afternoons, I sit at home. On msn, other friends who are support raising, are in and out, because they have numerous appointments. As for me, I have few appointments. I know few people in Toronto. It is easy to be consumed with self-pity and self-doubt.

But each evening, I meet up with people, and I come home humbled. I am the most prideful, most arrogant person you will ever meet. Yet, people still shower their love on me. It isn't their finances that I am thankful for (although I am thankful for their financial support)... It's their faith in God to use a sinner like me, small and inadequate, to bring the gospel to university students. I am so amazed by the love that they show me, even though I am so undeserving. I am moved that people would part so easily with their finances and their time, because they love me and because they love God and His people.

Most of the time, I wonder why it is that God has decided to bless me so immensely. Surely, it is nothing I have done. The God we serve is delightful and magnificent, and His sovereign hand is mighty in supporting us, down to the last breath.

4 commentaires:

Terra a dit...

PRAISE GOD!
He is soooo COOL!

i love these stories Lyds, keep em coming!

Angelic Engineer a dit...

Wow, I started crying, just reading that! Keep going... your stories are so encouraging for me, as I am going through the same process. Praying for you.

Katie V. a dit...

lydia low, those are some amazing stories. It is incredible the ways that you were provided for, in ways I would never have thought of. Cool post.

Anonyme a dit...

What a bizarre post. Perhaps even bordering on self-centredness or selfishness. Here is something to consider:

Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Luke 12:33

Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?" Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." Matthew 19:16, 21

Why is it that so many who are 'in the ministry' main concern is seemingly raising funds?

As they were walking along the road, a man said to him, "I will follow you wherever you go."

Jesus replied, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head."
Luke 9:57-58