mercredi, août 15, 2007

Today, I was talking to a friend. I told him to check out a sermon I'd been listening to. He asked me what it was about, and I replied, "Jesus and the cross."

"There's a lot of those kinds of sermons, isn't there?"

You don't need to listen to it, I can't force you. We forget about the cross far too often.

"I'm just wondering how much you can preach on it, is all."

It's not about preaching more. Its about preaching it. Jesus and the cross is the crux of everything we believe in.

"I've just lost that wonder and excitement, I think."

***

Just this morning, I was praying that God would awaken me to the wonder of His Word and the gospel. Life has been a bit lacklustre these past few weeks. I've been going through the motions. Throughout the day, I was reminded of how important the gospel is. Indeed, it is the ONLY thing of importance. Jesus is the only One who is worthy of our affections, and when He pales in comparison to other things, we really need to be searching our hearts and asking ourselves WHY the Creator of the universe pales in comparison to His creation. Ha, sounds like Romans 1:25 eh?

It is often SO easy to draw near to God when I'm running at full speed and gasping for breath, or when I'm drowning in life. But it is harder to remember that I am a being, wholly dependent on God, when life is slow moving, when i'm in a slow moving city, when I'm waking up late each morning without anyone to see or minister to throughout the day. Doing it on my own becomes easier than it is at any other time, and yet, it becomes so much more lacklustre. Banal.

I do not want to be an "adrenal" Christian, as John Piper puts it. I want to be a "coronary" Christian.

"..adrenaline is [not] bad, I said; it gets me through lots of Sundays. But it lets you down on Mondays. The heart is another kind of friend. It just keeps on serving—very quietly, through good days and bad days, happy and sad, high and low, appreciated and unappreciated. It never says, ‘I don’t like your attitude, Piper, I’m taking a day off.’ It just keeps humbly lub-dubbing along. It endures the way adrenaline doesn’t. Coronary Christians are like the heart in the causes they serve. Adrenal Christians are like adrenaline—a spurt of energy and then fatigue."~ J. Piper

The race I am running has not ended, simply because I am alone and in slow moving time of life. Thus, I need to be crying out at ALL times for His mercy to be upon me, and for the cross to excite me in ways that I have never experienced before.




p.s. there have been SO many of you who have sent me messages/comments/emails/letters of encouragement, this past while. It is so touching that people would read this blog, so full of drivel, and care to send a little encouragement my way! Especially people whom I rarely talk to, or even know! I may not reply to you (right away, or at all), but thank you SO much, I have been SO encouraged by your words of affection and grace.

0 commentaires: