jeudi, octobre 04, 2007

campaigns for real beauty...or a money grab?

Dove has gotten the whole world talking and raving about their amazing commercials, their choice to use real women and teach girls about TRUE beauty..etc. Makes me want to buy their products more. How great is a company that stands up against the objectification of women?

hmm.

Probably not that great when it objectifies women and sex to sell products to men.

Check out the difference between these two commercials. One catering to a largely female market, and one catering to a largely male market. What is the uniting factor? They're both products distributed by one company. Unilever.





8 commentaires:

Justin Alm a dit...

GREAT post! I didn't know Axe was a Dove product. Very interesting.

lowonthego a dit...

Axe and Dove are both unilever products....crazy eh?

Jess Versteeg a dit...
Ce commentaire a été supprimé par l'auteur.
Jess Versteeg a dit...

AND they own slimfast. and ben & jerry's. go figure. gotta love capitalism (heh not really).

Unknown a dit...

Wow. Now I'm not sure WHAT to think of Dove.
Thanks for this post.

Anonyme a dit...

I don't know if the bad completely outweighs the good, however; I found the Axe ad extremely frustrating and completely counter productive to the real beauty campaigns for Dove. I wonder if it's the same marketing department?

pri a dit...

we've been talking about this in class the past week. it changes your perspective a little when you find out that the people that unilever is behind the dove campaign and axe and slimfast. this campaign is unparalled but when you dig a little deeper it really puts a twist on things.

Jesskah a dit...

lydia, I want to fight you on this one, for sure.... (I'll call/email/instant message you... believe it.)
I wish I had a good analogy to make my case. Can I say, If the kid at the end of your pew stole from the collection plate, does that make your tithe and less useful or does it make you any less of a believer? (it's close but it's not quite what I'm getting at. see YOU in the future.)