mercredi, décembre 19, 2007

christmas prep/pickles/plane ride.







(can someone tell me why the colour fades when I upload my pictures online and how I should resolve this?)

***

I am going home today. I tend to call Edmonton home, even though there is nothing remotely home-esque about it except for the house i grew up in, and more importantly me mum and dad. I was sitting here waiting, at the clock struck four pm. I had not eaten yet. So, I went to the grocery store next door to my friend's apartment (where I've been staying) and bought a wrap that was labelled, "Roast Beef picnic wrap." How exciting. I went home...and bit into it...the first couple of bites were dull. But then...CRUNCH! I bit into something that I couldn't place...but all of a sudden the wrap tasted heavenly! At the end of the first half of the wrap, I realized that I had been eating a PICKLE! You see, I hate(d) pickles. I really do. Can't stand the darn things. Hadn't eaten one in so long..that I couldn't even place the taste. I don't know if it was my hunger or desperation...but the pickle made the sandwich HEAVENLY! I am now considering retracting my hatred for pickles.

***
update.

I am now back in Edmonton. I checked myself in early last night, and managed to score the infamous seat 12F. You know, the emergency exit with lots of leg room. I wanted to see if I'd prefer it to having a seat in front of me (which, oddly enough, I really enjoy). Just as I was settling in, a man, well over 6 feet walked on board and looked at me and said, "How'd you score that seat?" The longing in his voice was tangible. So, looking at my short legs, and realizing that other than for curiosity's sake, I fully didn't need that leg room ( I can't even reach under the seat in front of me when my legs are fully extended in normal circumstances), I offered him my seat. His gratitude and relief were palpable. Probably a good thing for me too. I ended up with no one on my right (because of the emergency exit just behind me) and no one on my left (empty seat). So I watched the Joy Luck Club in French, cried at its beauty,crocheted a scarf and worked on some christmas cards. Everytime i looked next to me and saw his legs extended beyond my seat, i thought about how nice it is to be nice and generous and all that jazz.

5 commentaires:

Jesskah a dit...

(the beauty of the language or the film?)

Kirsten a dit...

I love that seat. You are kind to give it up.
I also love that film. Let's talk about it at WC.

lowonthego a dit...

jesskah: both.

kirsten: i didn't get to finish watching it :( The plane landed before it ended!! TRAGEDY. I remember reading the book in jr. high... i must pull it out again. The film was beautiful!!!

Kirsten a dit...

I'm really sad you weren't able to finish it. That happened to me twice with The Holiday, but that was no great loss. I love the end of The Joy Luck Club though...you should try to watch it this holiday!!!

Unknown a dit...

It's true. Being nice/kind is a good feeling. The other day I had (a crying) Noah in the backseat of the car while I searched the grocery store parking lot for a spot to park. Just when I thought I had scored a sweet spot a van came ripping around the corner. I waved him in. *sigh* And then I took a farther away spot. But then on the way home I got every green light. If I believed in karma I'd say it had something to do with that kind gesture.