jeudi, décembre 20, 2007

My Mother's Christmas Tree/ Enough.





I've come to recognize that post-processing just makes a good/great shot even better. (For a really good example of this, check out my friend Justin.) I think I shall hop on this boat. I've held off on post processing, firstly because I really do desire to train myself to capture the best shot possible at that moment...not later, while sitting in front of a computer screen. Secondly, I really don't have any software to do so. I was on a trial version of Photoshop for awhile, but now that this trial has expired, I have iPhoto where minimal changes (i.e. colour balance) can be made. Sucky.

I've had quite a few offers for a "free" version of Photoshop (i.e. ripping it off someone else), but if I don't steal (that's right STEAL) music, why would I ever rip something worth 600 times one song (between $600 to a grand)? Soon, I'll pick up a copy of photoshop from the Ontario region C4C (they bought a license) and I'll be able to use it to do some design and such for Montreal and perhaps the Quebec region. But for now, I'll have to wait. A friend offered me to rip his photoshop program until I get a copy... I'm not sure what I think of this. It was very very very tempting... but what if I never get a legit copy? I wouldn't walk into a grocery store, steal something from a shelf because I needed it and then go back a week later to pay for it.

These are huge thoughts though... very debateable, and of course, controversial. For myself, it's easy to see the digital, internet realm as less tangible and therefore less "real" than physical products/objects like food and such. Nevertheless, they're still products, so I'm going to stick to my convictions and just hold off on Photoshop until I come by it in a legitimate fashion. Not everyone will agree with me on this. That's okay.

For now, my photos will remain unprocessed. What you see is what you get. No edits. (ha. kinda like my blog.) No actions. Sometimes, I like simplicity. Other times, I look at my friend Justin's pictures and I am jealous. I guess there is much to be said about dissatisfaction in my life and discontentedness. I am always wanting something more. A larger computer screen, a new lens, a mouse. Then, I look at a picture like this (Alfred Eisenstaedt; Menemsha Harbour, 1969) and I think to myself... in 1969 though there was no photoshop, God's creation was still as beautiful back then as it is now.

Somehow, He always says, "I am enough."

5 commentaires:

Justin Alm a dit...

hey,
you're right. i've been struggling with this drive for more. honestly, i'd like to go to school and study photography so i can learn how to take a good photo. i've given up my downloading of music b/c i've been convicted of not giving people what they deserve for their work. i think my relationship with others is an extension of my relationship with God. actually, you and jill wenger are the only people i know who take a stand on this. thanks for taking a stand for truth. my copy of CS2 is gone from my computer. your photos are great despite the fact you don't post process. Alfred got it right. thanks for the props.

lowonthego a dit...

wow...gone from your computer?? that's big.

amac a dit...

Hey,

good times Lydia. I committed to not benefitting from illegal software, but moving to north africa has raised interesting questions. I can buy music still, but movies here are copied, and it's impossible to get legal copies.

So now I'm buying copied movies. I'm still working through the ethics of it. Two brief points: the national government here seems to lend approval, if not verbally than in its actions, and secondly, that the black market here provides many jobs and helps make up for what globalisation has failed to do (i.e. provide legit movie sales).

but yeh, i'd like to hear other ideas too

lowonthego a dit...

hmm... i think... when it comes down to it... it's pretty tautological. I mean, why is it almost impossible to get legal copies? Is it because the black market is so huge that legal copies wouldn't be viable? i.e. why buy a movie for $10 when you can get one for $5? Thus, the black market just expands and the legal market loses its grip on things. Especially when the government doesn't have a firm stance on things.


I still don't think it's right though.. I mean, i recognize that people have differing viewpoints and that a part of it will come down to conviction..but still..

it's the Robin Hood principle.

We would think it atrocious for someone to rob a single mother's home. Especially a single mother, straining to make ends meet and on welfare. But sometimes we think it is more acceptable to steal from the rich, because while $15 dollars to that mother means being able to buy infant formula for a month, $15 to a multimillionaire is nothing. Yet... it's still stealing.

Let's take music for example..

If I was a recording artist, just starting out with very little money... and someone was "sharing" my music, therefore causing me to lose funds which could either help me to do more recording or even just eat.. I'd be pretty ticked....
Why should that change if I was a successful artist?

(granted, I really do believe that a successful artist would probably not lose out if they offered their stuff for free.. in some ways, it might be an even better marketing strategy. I mean..look at Radiohead)

I think..in the end, there are a lot of bad things that are wrong, but which are still used for "good" in a sense. Prostitution is wrong, and yet some would argue that it provides income for those in the industry. While prostitution is definitely very different than an illegal download or an illegal copy, i think the principle remains the same.

For me, when it comes to downloading music and such, sometimes I think the lines are pretty clearly defined..black and white, but we like to THINK that the lines are grey because it makes us feel better.

Anonyme a dit...

this post and that commentary draw from me a RIGHT ON..(I'm pumping my fist in the air to show my approval...)
RIGHT ON for two different reasons...love it. you make me want to blog. word.