samedi, août 23, 2008

on rest.

Along with the diagnosis in July, I realized I had to make significant changes in my life. As fall approaches, I am more and more acutely aware of how much I need to implement these changes. I feel my energy levels changing, slipping away from me. The burdens people used to share with me from their lives were once manageable. I could counsel everyone who asked me for it and pray for them. Now, I feel anxious anytime I cross paths with certain people. There are so many things I want to do and need to do. So many people I want to see and help. But physiology and capacity restrict me. This is what sickness has robbed from me.

Yesterday, as I sat and prayed, just for strength to get through the day, for motivation to complete the tasks on hand, I realized that this disease, this sickness has opened up a new world for me, replete with new roles. I can't do all the things I want to, but I can do things that I never like to do..like.. rest. I can't counsel everyone, reply to everyone's emails and text messages about needs and drama, but I can give a little and pray a lot.

I wish this disease wasn't something I faced. I wish I could live my normal life. But there is a season for everything in life. And it just so happens, that every two years, from fall to spring, there is a season of rest.


For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
time to be born, and a time to die;a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; time to kill, and a time to heal;a time to break down, and a time to build up; time to weep, and a time to laugh;a time to mourn, and a time to dance; gather stones together;a time to embrace, and a time to time to cast away stones, and a time to refrain from embracing; time to seek, and a time to lose;a time to keep, and a time to cast away; time to tear, and a time to sew;a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; time to love, and a time to hate;a time for war, and a time for peace.

***


and now..for something lighter...or not.


1 commentaires:

monica a dit...

hey lyds

I hope everything is alright with your health? From reading your posts anyways, I think I also experienced something similar with burnout and trying to meet demands from everyone including myself.... it is damaging for sure.

PS: I did eat some laksa! Haha.. it's a bit too rich for me, but still very tasty! I'm actually stuck in Singapore right now-- supposed to have been back yesterday. Typhoons in HK make it dangerous for Cathay to fly over there.... hahaa... :S