jeudi, août 21, 2008

random slice on conservative Calvinist culture.

At times, I get frustrated by this culture. It's not the theology I have a problem with-- if you were to sit down and talk with me, you'd definitely realize that it's not the theology--it's the culture. It's the culture where everything is black and white, and time isn't taken to explore the grey areas before making a decision. It's a culture of pride and of needing to be "right" and where saying "I'm not sure, I'm still thinking about this." is never heard. It's a culture that, in large part, has forgotten the combination of grace AND truth. For a time, I was deeply entrenched in this culture, and so I speak, not as an outsider to this culture, but rather, as someone who has definitely played a role inside this culture.

I get frustrated by the amount of theological pride that exists in this culture. A couple of weeks ago, I was at a conference, and there was a group of people who were constantly ripping apart different preachers. They ripped apart preachers who weren't at the conference, and ripped apart preachers who were speaking at the conference. They would sit around, after the talk was given, and take the individual's talk down, one peg at a time. And when given the opportunity to say something to the preacher, they would remain silent. When asked about their silence, they would reply with excuses like "Oh, I don't think it's necessary.." or "Well... I have to read up more about this person first.."

I have definitely been guilty of doing this before. When I first started thinking about these theological issues, I was always criticizing certain preachers for not upholding Calvinism--i mean, how could they not be (that was facetious, by the by)-- or for being too harsh or too soft, or not doing this or not doing that.
However, I have been convicted this past year about how little I actually know. I have been convicted by Ephesians 4:29, which says "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."

For some reason or another, God has put me in a position where I am so privileged and humbled to be able to disciple girls, and teach people about the character of God. With this, comes the necessity of correcting theological errors, while at the same time, being careful not to confuse errors with differences in theological persuasions. In discipleship, especially this year, I have come to realize the vast responsibility and "power" that I have. I have seen my sinful and critical heart be passed on to people I have discipled, who in turn develop a critical and un-grace-filled heart. I think caution needs to be exercised when we, as Christians, open our mouths to speak. For an unbeliever, there is an "excuse" to b*tch about celebrities, friends, etc. But for Christians, we are held to a higher standard, and sometimes, we think a difference in theological persuasion is reason enough to be able to b*tch. Even when it comes to errors in theology, grumbling and complaining and immediately taking apart a person in public, without speaking to them first, isn't the way to do it (a la Matt 18:15, 1 Tim 5:1, 17-21).

It takes a huge dose of maturity and humility to commit to these things, when, it is so much harder--especially when everyone else is b*tching--to step back and not be a part of this. It takes maturity to enter into "conflict resolution" and approach another person and say, "I have some concerns about what you are teaching. This seems to be what you are saying:_____. Is this true? If so, this is what the Bible says:__________. If not, can you give me some clarity?"

We need to pray and ask that James 3:13 becomes true in our lives. I want a harvest of righteousness to be sown.

6 commentaires:

Justin Alm a dit...

Nice post. There's so much truth in what you're saying here.

Anonyme a dit...

Yeah, I agree too. Well said. I guess you're a fan of the "new generation" of Calvinists/reformed preachers, like John Piper and Mark Driscoll? They're a lot nicer and gracious (lol, never thought I'd describe Mark Driscoll as that).

Anonyme a dit...

My pastor in Toronto was preaching on the beginning of one of Paul's epistles (I think it was Colossians), and he notes that even in a church where there were many problems, Paul starts out with graciousness and thanksgiving at how the Gospel is spreading and taking root in their church. He termed it, being a "spy of grace". Looking to see the good in people, looking for things to be thankful for. (See also Jesus's letters in Revelation.)

I doubt Paul was just giving lip service thanksgiving to butter them up for the big rebuke -- I think he actually was sincerely joyful to see all the growth in their lives.

I think that's the problem with the culture you're describing (a culture that I too have been a part of for a long time): there of course is a role for rebuke, discussion, biblical correction -- but it needs to be sandwiched in gentleness and humility to see self and others properly -- both the good and the bad. And in the wisdom to know what's worth making a big deal of and what's not.

It's My DLu! a dit...

hey lyds,

thanks for this post.

i think this serves as a good reminder that we are, especially in our circles, still young and need to continue to learn in HUMILITY.

i've often wondered how to confront this issue, as it seems quite prevalent and gaining momentum (although, moreso in certain regions, from my experience). at staff conference all i could do was walk away and not engage with those people. indeed, i still need to learn how to handle those situations with grace and love (rather than avoidance out of frustration).

thanks again for posting this!

Sid S. a dit...

i heart this post!

Anonyme a dit...

Hey Lydia,
Thank you for the eloquent rebuke. You're right- The mark of a great teacher is humility. One thing I love about my Jesus is how patient he is with me!

Alas,... thank you for your transparency.

Margie