jeudi, août 14, 2008

on women in the church.

Something I have been thinking about lately is the role of women in the church. I used to have pretty set standards on what I thought should/should not occur, but lately, I've been thinking about this more. I want to have convictions that stem from the Bible and not from the culture I live in. I also want to apply these gleanings practically to my life. And so, the question is, how does this happen?

If there is one well trained, well-equipped and well-versed woman, and a handful of men, but men who are neither well-trained, nor well-equipped, nor well-versed, how does that woman equip and empower those men for a lifetime of service? Some might say, "Well, just step back and let them lead..they'll figure it out.." Which might work out on a theoretical level..but at some point, the blind can't lead the blind...and this might be a nice and easy solution on the outside, but, take it from someone who has been there. It doesn't work. So.. does she lead and call the shots? How does this fit into the conservative Christian paradigm?

Let me know your thoughts.

4 commentaires:

stephanie a dit...

Thanks for posting about this.... it's something I'm thinking about too. I'd be very interested in the replies!

Peter Eddy a dit...

I started writing something in here, but it became too long. I posted it as an entry at my blog. In it I offer suggestions.

Anonyme a dit...

Interesting post, lyd! I personally think (and I apologize if I come accross too liberal or feminist). But to me its not a question about the gender of the person, but rather what that person can bring to the table. How this person can grow the church, improve our community and his or hers heart for serving. If that happens to be a woman, then why not, if the end result is to glorify Christ and the church?

-joelle

Anonyme a dit...

I think the gender of the person is part of what he or she brings to the table. Gender may not strictly determine your abilities or competence in a certain area, but it influences identity and God-intended role, I believe.

God's Word tells us that in His image He created humans - specifically, male and female He created them (He differentiates us from the beginning). Husbands and wives are given different instructions in the Bible, not because of mere social context. Men and women are given different instructions on how to act in public assembly of worship and prayer, with specific limitations (sorry, that's kind of an ugly word) on women's exercise of authority and instruction in the context of Timothy's church. I believe that the social and textual context does make a difference on how we interpret Paul's instructions in 1 Tim 2, but I also believe that he must have meant something specific in principle.

Ok, long story short, I think that even our own feelings and observations will lead us to the conclusion that men should be leading and initiating. But what should (or can) women do when the men are being useless? I think women can definitely take a step back, but women can also take the initiative to move the men into action. Maybe that can be done through encouragement, through direct challenging, through getting other men to shape these men up, or even by teaching or showing these men how to lead, yourself (I think the prior options I mentioned should be exercised first, personally)!

I'm not necessarily saying that guys should be put into leadership if possible, ahead of girls, just because they are male. I think it might depend on the position and the ministry context. However, what I'm afraid of is all the real initiative and leadership being undertaken (in campus ministry) by the female students, and the guys in the leadership are more like token "student leaders" or figureheads who aren't actually leading people somewhere. If we raise a generation of men who don't feel responsible for others, and women who are used to doing everything themselves and taking that responsibility, I think we are setting our families and our future society up for dysfunction.

Proverbs 31 is a good starting point for gender roles, I think. If I had to summarize that chapter, I would say: Men - protect and be responsible for people around you / Women - support & manage well. It reminds me of WWII, when everyone was at war and the men went to fight and the women made everything.

I hope I'm saying these things correctly.