jeudi, septembre 04, 2008

oh what a tangled web we weave.

Today, i learned a very good lesson. When you lie, you don't just lie once.

We've been having trouble with room bookings on campus, and so we found that the religious office was a great help. Instead of going through all the bureaucracy, you can just go to the chaplaincy office and book a room directly!

Anyways, today I went to the office to book a room. We have two events next week, and because of all the red tape at this campus, we had been unable to book. Thankfully, the people at this interfaith centre were really helpful! However, I got to the room, and realized I needed a student ID. I knew that if I waited to get a student to do the booking tomorrow, we might be out of luck. So I texted one of our students and asked her for her ID number, and filled out the form under her name, and signed her name. I knew she'd be okay with it, and it didn't seem like a big deal. Mistake #1.

The receptionist okayed everything, and so I asked if I could see the meeting room. We were on our way there, when I passed by the chaplain, who asked me my name. Automatically, I said, "Lydia." But I had signed the form with the name "Gloria". The receptionist turned to me and said, "Isn't your name Gloria?" Panicked, I said.. "Oh, those are both my names." Mistake #2. I should have just confessed..but I was panicked, and didn't want to lose our booking privileges. Forgery probably isn't such a hot idea. Even if you have permission to forge.

So the chaplain asked me why I had two names.

*gulp*

"Oh, well people call me lydia because it sounds like..err..my chinese name. Lee Dee AHHH." (that is not my chinese name at all!!)
"So how did you come up with gloria!"
"uhhh...oh, people in elementary school couldn't remember my name..so they called me gloria."
"so, do you like being called gloria or lydia?"
"uhh, lydia...since there is another gloria in our club."

later on tonight, when i was explaining the situation to gloria.

"so, gloria...if someone calls you and asks for lydia..you are lydia..and gloria. But, if you meet the chaplain in person, you're just gloria. a different gloria."

Moral of the story: do not lie. lying makes everything oh so complicated. and it is wrong. oh so wrong.

4 commentaires:

Jess Versteeg a dit...

awkward! that reminds me of so many moments last year that make me laugh now, but would probably make others recoil in horror.

coolaquarius a dit...

hahaha.

are u gonna confess ur sins to the receptionist and the chaplain person?

Anonyme a dit...

awkward indeed!

maybe a solution to this quandary is to ask Gloria to explain and apologize for you if they do call her back.

Actually, aren't you going to have to deal with the Interfaith Centre again sometime in the future?

Anonyme a dit...

That's hilarious!