mardi, septembre 02, 2008

Sola scriptura.

I don't like challenging authority. Maybe it's because I've grown up in Chinese circles, where accepting (sometimes almost blindly) authority without questioning is something that happens a lot. Maybe it's because I hate conflict (and yet...love it!!). Whatever the reason, I don't like challenging authority.

Recently, I was in a position where I fundamentally disagreed with the manner in which someone in authority conducted something, and that night, I sat on a swing set in the dark and wrestled through what I should do. It was a hard decision for me. I don't often like rocking the boat, and I'm scared of coming across as arrogant or attempting to cause trouble. But I've always firmly held to the idea that scripture alone is my authority.

As we dialogued, a comment was made about that person being in authority. Another comment was made about how experience needs to be accounted for. My response was, "The Bible alone is my authority[...] and I will abide by THAT authority."

Whilst dialoguing (which would be a rather tame description), I realized that it is true. People will come and go in my life-- leaders will come and go-- but I will never prize human thoughts and experience over the word of God. 2 Cor 3:5 says that our sufficiency is from God and indeed I will submit to the authority of Scripture, because it has been inerrantly inspired by God and carries the FULL weight of His authority. I also realized how important it is that we know the Scriptures. Had I not known the context and the text of the Biblical passage, I would have looked like a fool, and would not have been able to contend for the truth.

The Bible clearly teaches that our faith should not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. So often, in my own life, I place my faith in leaders: in my pastors, in people in authority within the organization I work for, in friends. This is not to say that I should not listen to those in authority. But the Bible is clear (a la 1 Cor 2:5) that our authority is not found primarily in human wisdom but in the inerrant word of God. How important is it then, that I strive to not only know God's Word or the "sunday school answers", but know God's word, so that I may wield it and take ground (a la Eph 6:17). I don't want to believe because human authority says I should, but because the Word of God stands forever.

"... All flesh is grass,
and all its beauty is like the flower of the field.
The grass withers, the flower fades,
when the breath of the Lord blows on it;
surely the people are grass.
The grass withers, the flower fades,
but the word of our God will stand
forever."~ Isaiah 40:1

3 commentaires:

Samuel a dit...

Amen

Anonyme a dit...

God's Word says that we should respect those who labour among us and are over us in the Lord. It also says that we should obey the general authorities placed above us (e.g. government).

But then Paul said that he opposed Peter to his face when he took sides with the circumcision party, which I think goes to show that God wants us to respect and be submissive to our leadership in general but ultimately He still expects us to obey Him before man.

So I agree with you :P

Anonyme a dit...

Amen also. The verse is Isaiah 40:6-8 :)