samedi, octobre 11, 2008

autumn soup.

I love fall. For numerous reasons, it is by far my favourite season. I love the contrast of the yellow leaves and the deep blue skies. I love pulling out a cardboard box, stuffed with all my sweaters, hidden away during summertime. I love the feeling of the fresh, crisp air, and the feeling of finding clothing that has been forgotten or dismissed. I love the feeling of rosy cheeks and the absence of sweat. I don't know, I just love everything that is fall. One thing I love most is autumn food. Squashes, sweet potatoes, peaches, blackberries, figs! The day when butternut squashes appear at the farmer's market is the day when my heart swells with lovage.

Two years ago, I had an eureka moment. I had forgotten to buy cream at the grocery store, and I was already in the process of making my squash soup. So I opened a can of coconut milk that I had sitting in my cupboard, and behold! Squash soup has never been the same. And my tastebuds have never been the same either. There have been other magical additions throughout the years, like the moment I decided that apple cider, mangoes, peaches and apples do wonders for soup.

So, in honour of squash, thanksgiving and everything that is autumn, I thought I would post two soup recipes that I have made throughout the years. Today was the perfect time to resurrect these recipes, since I'm going to a thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, and hosting one the day after. Note that butternut squash and sweet potatoes take approximately the same time to cook, and are therefore interchangeable.

Butternut Apple Coconut Squash Soup.

1 squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
half of a large onion
1/2 cup olive oil
2 gala apples
1/2 tsp curry powder
2/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 cup apple cider (today, I realized I didn't have apple cider, so I substituted orange banana strawberry juice for apple cider...it worked but the soup ended up having a bit more of a citrus taste)
1/2 cup coconut milk (make sure to shake the can before opening)
1/2 carton of chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste.


In a large pot, heat olive oil and add in onions. You'll want the onions to sweat, but not to brown. Fry until onions are translucent. Add in the squash and apples and sautee for approximately 10 to 15 minutes.

Stir in curry powder and cardamom. Add in the apple cider and coconut milk, and cook for about 3-5 minutes.

Finally, stir in the chicken stock, lower the heat, and simmer for approximately 30 minutes.

Puree the soup in a food processor until smooth.

Sprinkle salt and ground pepper to taste.
Sweet Potato, ginger, mango and peach soup.

6 cups sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1 mango peeled and cut into cubes
2 peaches/nectarines, peeled and cut into cubes.
1/2 onion
approx 3 tbsp grated gingerroot
olive oil
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or amount you desire)
1 can coconut milk
1 carton chicken broth
salt and pepper.

In a stockpot, sweat the onion in olive oil. Fry until translucent. Add in sweet potato, mango and peaches. Sautee for approximately 10 minutes.


Stir in curry powder and cayenne pepper.

Stir in coconut milk,chicken broth, and grated ginger. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for approximately 30 to 35 minutes.

Puree in food processor and serve immediately* with salt and pepper to taste.



*Because sweet potatoes are very starchy in nature, plan on serving this soup immediately. If not, make sure to add more chicken broth when reheating, as much of the moisture will be soaked up while the soup sits.

[edit: Monday, October 13th

I just made a fresh batch of soup. This time, I combined the butternut squash with 2 apples, 2 nectarines and 1 mango. I put in a lot more chicken broth, wasn't as strict with measuring, and put in ground ginger powder...It's RIDICULOUSLY good...

point of the story: go nuts with your soup! try anything and everything!!!]

2 commentaires:

Jill a dit...

sweet! i was totally wondering what you meant by "fall soups" on your FB. these soups looks SOOOO good!

Mindy a dit...

Wow, I'm so impressed! I'm gonna have to try those.