vendredi, octobre 10, 2008

me and automated messaging systems.

The following story is true, and happened in September...but I'm reliving it, while trying to scrape together ID in order to vote.

In July I was mugged. July the third, to be exact.

This is what happened when I tried to replace my drivers license.

Setting: I am sitting in a coffee shop.

After perusing the website for an inordinate amount of time, I finally find the phone number for Alberta Registry services.

I dial the number, and go figure, it's an automated messaging system for multiple Alberta government services. I get the operator on the phone. She says that she'll transfer me over to Alberta registry services. Again, it's an automated messaging system. There are multiple options, all of which are automated. There is one option to talk to an operator. So, I punch in "0" and lo, I am transferred...

.... back to the INITIAL operator! She transfers me BACK to the automated messaging system of Alberta Registry services. One of the options is to be transferred to a local license bureau. So, I press this button, and choose the CAA (or AMA, as it is known in Alberta). Again, an automated messaging system picks up. One of the options is, "To speak to an agent about a lost or stolen license, please press zero."

So, I press zero, and I'm transferred BACK to the INITIAL operator, who promptly says, "You again?", as if I don't know how to use a phone or follow directions. She transfers me BACK to the Alberta registry messaging system, at which point, I am SO frustrated that I hang up the phone.

Is THIS why Alberta has a surplus? Because the government won't pay for a few extra workers to answer phones? For the richest province in Canada, that whole episode was a bit of a let down.

***

Speaking of automated systems, yesterday I lost my wallet on the bus. So, I called the number for the lost and found, or whatever. I'm standing in the middle of nowheresville, I'm panicking because I have NO money, I have NO bus pass, NO ID, and I'm a 40 minute transit ride away from home. I call the number, and it's automated.

"Pour la service en Anglais appuyez sur le huit. For service in English, press 8"

I cannot emphasize how many times i pressed 8. I pressed 8 like a stinking maniac, and EVERY SINGLE time, it was, "Ce service n'est pas disponible." (This service is not available).

FOR THE LOVE OF MY UNCLE GEORGE!! COME ON!

Why would you even provide an option on an automated messaging system that does not exist?

I seriously called that number over and over, pressing 8 whenever I was directed to do so.
(Yes, I understand French, but when you're on the verge of tears, you're in the middle of nowhere, and you've just run 1km trying to catch up with the bus, you would not want to have to listen to an automated messaging system in French either.)

Eventually I gave up and I bawled. And then I called my director Andy, and bawled, and told him I didn't know how to get home. Andy came in the Vandy mobile to pick me up.

Today, when I tried calling the number (to see if my wallet had been returned), I pressed "8" again..and lo and behold.....the english option was working!!

Just my luck.

Moral of the story: Automated Messaging Systems= a crapload of garbage.

3 commentaires:

Jess Versteeg a dit...

if i believed in luck, I'd say you have the worst luck!

Anonyme a dit...

Was all of that from September? You didn't actually just lose your wallet yesterday/two days ago, did you?

lowonthego a dit...

haha noo..the second story was definitely from Wednesday..very fresh. LOL.