samedi, février 14, 2009

on seeing him with eyes of faith.

You know, i'm a pretty independent person. i guess when you move away from home at 16 to the largest city in Canada, you quickly learn to become independent. Maybe a part of it is being an only child. Maybe another part of it is just my personality. Whatever the case, i'm often confident (maybe too confident at times) of my ability to sustain myself and to lead others.

Perhaps It is a pride thing; i don't like to ask for help. Other than my bookshelf, i can say that everything in my room was assembled by me and maybe a couple of other females. Sometimes, my feminist, sinful, independent-self tells me i don't need men....

...Especially not "non-solid" men. Sure, i submit myself to male leadership... but only if i trust that he is wise, mature, theologically sound, fantastic, great, (insert positive adjective here or read: john piper).

Fastforward to my present life. Being on staff provides me with amazing opportunities to work with older, wiser men who i would trust with my life. But being at the church i'm at is often harder. i lead a study of all guys (let's not go into the theological/doctrinal implications of this right now), who often times have trouble doing one quiet time a week, let alone follow servant leadership patterns described in 1 Timothy 3. And sometimes, the sinful, prideful me thinks to myself, "I'm better than these guys, why would i ever submit to their leadership?" instead of asking myself, "How can i, as a sister in Christ, help develop these guys so that they can become servant-leaders that i would not only be willing to follow, but delight in following?"

i don't see the guys in my life with eyes of faith for the men that God could make them.

Instead, i compare them with men who are 20, 30 years older. Why can't so and so be like John Piper? Why can't he communicate his thoughts like Driscoll or Keller? He doesn't measure up to my director...He doesn't...(fill in negative attribute here).
I forget that all these guys, all the men i look up to in my life have a good 10,20, 30 years of experience, cultivation and seasoning to have become the men that they are.

In January, i went snowboarding with a friend. It was his second time going, so i encouraged him, gave him tips and corrections. By the end of the night, he was pretty good. i could still beat him down the hill, but he wasn't too far behind.
The next time we went, he had drastically improved. In fact, that night, he started trying to learn how to ride switch, something i had rarely attempted before. And not only did he try to learn this new thing, he encouraged me to try learning it too. To my shame, by the end of that night, he was definitely better than me. But he had also made me into a better snowboarder by challenging me and urging me to travel to places i had never been before.

That night, i couldn't help but think to myself that my friend had taught me a really valuable lesson about having faith for the man he'll become. Initially, he wasn't in a place to lead me, but with encouragement from others and diligence, he has surpassed me in his ability and in his giftedness to lead.

This isn't just a snowboarding story that ends there. It's an analogy that extends to all females out there, to have faith in the men their brothers will become.
A year ago, i would have never thought that this friend would challenge me the way he does, or cause me to see and trust God in greater and deeper ways. But somehow, it has come to the place where he does both, and more. i trust him and would willingly submit to his leadership, because i see his constant desire to walk in step with God and his ever-growing ability to teach me new things.

The mark of a solid guy then, may not actually be that he is fully solid (i mean, who actually is fully 100% solid?), but that he is on a trajectory that is set to love God more and more each day.

And so, maybe my role, as i walk into the Bible study i have with all these guys, is not to lead these guys, or belittle them for not being the men they should be, but to spur these guys on to become men of God. To encourage them to take steps of leadership and humility, and to trust that as they learn to love God more, they will become men that i can trust and depend on. Godly, servant-hearted leaders who will spur me on to love God more.

8 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit...

At first I thought the "him" in your blog post title was God. But I'm guessing you're talking more about a hypothetical male person. I like this post :P

Anyways, a friend of mine wrote a blog post kind of on this topic, and I left a comment on her blog that I think you might find interesting (ok, I hope you would find interesting). If you have time to read it, let me know what you think :)

http://jillrose.wordpress.com/2009/01/25/on-chivalry/#comments

P.S. About your Church small group... maybe a practical application point is that you can start keeping your eyes open for any guys who seem to be ready to take some leadership, and hopefully let him lead alongside you and take more and more initiative and leadership?

lowonthego a dit...

Haha jill is a friend of mine too....

carmen a dit...

Hey Lydia!
I appreciated this post a lot as well. I relate to quite a few of those struggles you described. And you have clearly reminded me what the God-glorifying response would be in such "discouraging" situations. Thank you for those words of truth & love! :)

carmen a dit...

p.s. another thing I appreciate is how this blog forces me to clean off some of the rust on my French. hehee.

Unknown a dit...

True words sista! God has been showing me lately that since He was so patient and gracious (and still is) in molding me into the individual that I am and the one that I will become, I need to extend that same grace to my brothers and sisters in Christ. Also, learning that it's really only something I can do in the power of the Holy Spirit.

Beth a dit...

i have been thinking about this since i read it yesterday...and whether i, like you, tend to expect my male peers to have the maturity of men three decades older than them. good thing for me to think about :)

Anonyme a dit...

I read this last night and immediately thought of your post that I had read earlier:

Ecourage His Leadership

How can a woman help a man grow as a godly leader? Two key habits include prayer and ecouraging his strengths. It's easy to focus on areas of weakness, but encouraging his abilities carries more power than point out what you wish he'd do better. If a guy is uncomfortable praying out loud, talk to God about your desire to see him speak up. But if he's great at showing compassion or helping others, tell him you admire his caring nature or his servant's heart. Leadership shows itself in both outspoken and understated ways. "Encourage [him] with great patience" (2 Timothy 4:2), and ask God to open your eyes to the gifts and potential in the men around you.

kim a dit...

i like this post.