vendredi, avril 17, 2009

a man after my own heart...

i walk into the store. i am on a hunt for a monthly format agenda where i can see the whole month on one page. all i can see are those wretched moleskine notebooks.

i ask the man if he has anything other than moleskine.

He looks at me with a knowing smile and nods, "You want something nicer than those banal moleskines, eh?"

"yes," i reply solemnly.

He leads me over to a hidden shelf and pulls out the first agenda.

i tell him i don't like the font.

Again, he nods at me knowingly, "oh yes, you must have your helvetica, right dear?"

Yes. The helvetica is very important to me, i tell him.

i can already see that this man understands my heart.

He goes into a back storage room and pulls out an agenda with a wretched wretched cover. He tells me not to judge the book by it's cover. and when he opens it, i see why. it is Helvetica in all her glory. grey lines instead of black. Cream paper instead of white. Heavy weight paper, instead of cheap paper.

We head to the cash and he tells me to come back next january. Though they are out of stock, he tells me he knows i will absolutely adore the typographic calendars they have. i seem like one who enjoys typography, he ventures.

what a man!

10 commentaires:

Beth a dit...

do we not get to see this helvetican glory!? i am insanely curious. i want to see!

Unknown a dit...

Wow. He read YOU like a book! He totally knew what you would like. That's a rare gift I think. :) I like that you are so particular and your description of said calendar. :)

Jill a dit...

i'm interested in seeing the "wretched wretched cover"!

OM a dit...

.

Suzanne a dit...

haha I love this Lydia. I have no idea what a helvetica is.

While I was reading this I had a picture in my mind during the dialogue of an old creepy guy with glasses who kind of has an oily way of speaking... ahah sorry it just worked! My imagination got carried away.

Anonyme a dit...

As I've heard a friend of mine say before, "Don't fall in love!"

Anonyme a dit...

Thought you might enjoy this.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123992364819927171.html?mod=yhoofront

Jmies a dit...

So the cover is gross? hahahah

Jess Versteeg a dit...

re: the link. comic sans can die in a fire. i HATE THAT FONT with a raging passion.

Emily Morrice a dit...

LONG LIVE MOLESKINE!