vendredi, juin 12, 2009

littlest things.

i took the past weekend to recharge and visit my former housemate from university in New York. We went to a craft fair i've wanted to visit for the past two years, hung out, talked about spiritual things. The weather was warm, and i think my heart was warmed a bit too.

Some people might laugh when i say this, but i really do think that the spiritual darkness that exists here in Quebec impacts the depression and consequent spiritual depression that i face on a cyclical basis. i've struggled with depression for much of my life, but it has never been as hard to endure as it has been here in Montreal.

So whenever i leave Monts for a little bit, i always come back feeling recharged and just a little bit more hopeful. This weekend was really good in particular for me. i was reminded of my love of sharing the gospel, reminded of my love of art and music and food. Little things that would seem so ordinary most of the time really warmed my heart.

It might also sound funny, but my creativity, i find is also often very linked with how i am doing spiritually. Somehow, i know that when i take a good picture, it isn't because of me. When i draw, it isn't from me. For the past while, lydia + the arts= mediocre at best. But the trip to New York has set me on an upswing, i feel. Since December, i haven't really pulled out my camera apart from a few shots at Martha's Vineyard. Today, i have an inkling to pull out film and have some fun. Music has come alive to me. When i play my violin, i feel like it's that extra part of my soul that i've been missing out on.

Oh, and i've been sewing too! My friend in NY taught me how to use a sewing machine, and off i went! So far, it's just a purse and a handmade doll (okay, so the doll is super ugly, but give me grace...i've never sewed a doll before!)

Small things. Little things, ya know? Probably the littlest things to most. But one small step at a time.




12 commentaires:

Jess Versteeg a dit...

LYDIA I LOVE THE BAG. It's cute!! I also totally agree with the geography thing. True words. Every time I got out of this sad town I would come back more motivated in my MPD.

Angelic Engineer a dit...

I think you should call the doll "friar-tuck duck". That's what it looks like to me :) I am very impressed.

V a dit...

I love that doll! Seriously - he/she (?) is beyond cute!

Unknown a dit...

the pose makes your doll look like he needs to pee...

great purse! i like the bird fabric.

lowonthego a dit...

jess: haha i thought of you when i saw the fabric...

angela: hahah i KNOW he does sorta look like a friar eh? LOL..i shall name him that.

vanessa: LOL!!! i think he's pretty ugly.. perhaps this summer i shall make some for your kiddos!!

brittany: lol..he's ashamed cause he isn't wearing pants.

aban a dit...

omm.
so. have you seen the REAL "ugly dolls"
i <3 your doll. he is rather sad lookin' but that is EXACTLY what makes him uber cute.

called it.
abans 25th birthday gift = one "ugly" doll.
gosh...i'm so friggin demanding.
whatever.

lowonthego a dit...

abanness...i LOVE THE REAL UGLY DOLLS. haha i have a sneaking suspicion that miss chen is getting me one for my birthday.

but hahah, for you...many ugly dolls! i'll get to work once i get my machine!!!

Anonyme a dit...

good stuff...the purse is impressive...

but the doll's lips looks like he's been hitting the botox pretty hard...:P
-Warren G.

Unknown a dit...

i love the doll! its sooo azn! and the fabric of the purse is great! soo happy to hear you were inspired in NY, i feel the same when i take a vakay from this city!

shellieos a dit...

ok....so my birthday is coming up in.............four months? HINT.

Emily Morrice a dit...

i reaaaaaaaaaally want that bag. or one like it.

Anonyme a dit...

The Friar looks hilarious. Very nice job.