vendredi, septembre 19, 2003

It struck me today that I miss relatively few people in Edmonton. Of course, it goes without saying that i miss my mum and dad and button and pooch. However, considering that I invested so much time in making and maintaining friendships in Edmonton, I miss relatively few people. For the past 6 years, friends in Edmonton were almost my life. Spending money, and hanging out with them every friday night and sunday afternoons was what I loved. Now that I'm here, I still miss people and my friends as a collective whole...but really, i miss very few people as single individuals. Those who I miss, know that I miss them. But its strange, how I hardly miss and hardly think of some people, all of whom I considered my best friends. Is that a bad thing? Then again, I think to myself, life moves on. Things change and people change. At first I was sad when it was my birthday and out of all my really really close friends ( not including my close High School friends, who have never failed to wish me happy birthday since grade 7) , only my best friend called me/e-mailed me to say Happy Birthday. And yet, now that I think about it, I'm guilty of the same thing. I haven't talked to any Edmonton people who don't use MSN ( mainly because i have no long-d plan, so it costs me 25 cents a minute to phone), and yet that really isn't an excuse. Because if they were my close friends, wouldn't i call regardless of the cost? Do i sound really pessimistic of friendships? I loved the friends I made in Edmonton, but unlike some people here in Rez, I'm not that sad, and I don't cry because I miss my friends...well other than my best friend.I don't think this makes me a bad person. I think that moving has separated me from many of my peers, but i've still kept in touch and still talk to the people who matter. All of them know who they are.It makes me kind of sad, to think that I invested so much time in trying to please and trying to make friends with all my church buddies, but I never really bothered to get to know my school peers who NEVER once failed to remember my b-day since grade 7 until my last year of high school, when i became closer to them than some of my church friends. They didn't even forget my b-day this year either. I guess its all down to a matter of priorities. Most of my church friends highly prioritize school..alot of the time, more so than friendships. This is a double edged-sword. Whereas, many of my school friends equalize the two...and sometimes..actually a lot of the time,do just as good.

i mean, school is school...you can still end up jobless and homeless after getting a post secondary education but at least you wouldn't be a lonely old homeless fart if you had friends. You'd just be old and homeless which is 10 times better. I'd rather do horribly in school, and know that I had friends who I could really trust, instead of do great in school, but have friends that i know would let me down in a second because they had to run off and do homework.Thats my rant for the day. Lovely.

0 commentaires: